Thread: Excessive Traffic Indicator Activity

jimutley Guest

Default Excessive Traffic Indicator Activity

Is there a way to stop the ZoneAlarm traffic indicator from indicating activity from a particular program or maybe from the whole trusted zone? I have recently installed "BOINC" (a distributed computing application) on mycomputer and it causes the traffic indicator to flash on about every 5 seconds. The following is an explanation from a BOINC forum:<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr>BOINC on your computer is in two parts. BOINC Manager, the GUI that you see and interact with is simply that - a GUI. The real work of the BOINC client is done by the daemon (boinc.exe) that runs in the background. The GUI interrogates the daemon quite frequently so that the information on your various BOINC Manager tabs is always kept up to date. That communication is done by a connection to localhost which you should be able to see in the status information at the bottom right corner of the GUI window. You should see "Connected to localhost" there if everything is running normally. Localhost is your own computer in the trusted zone.

Your firewall can see this communication and you have it configured to report it to you. Of course you don't need to be concerned at all about this communication. It is quite necessary and totally harmless. All you need to do is tell zonealarm that both boincmgr.exe and boinc.exe have normal access permission for both the trusted zone and the internet zone. If you don't give this permission BOINC will not be able to work on your computer. In the "Access" column in zonealarm's "Program Control" window, make sure you have two green ticks for each program. Then you will have no further annoying popups.</BLOCKQUOTE>I have of course granted both of the programs access as he suggests, but that doesn't keep the communication from constantly activating the traffic indicator. Is there any way to get the indicator to ignore this traffic? I am using free ZoneAlarm 6.1.737.000.Thanks,Jim

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Excessive Traffic Indicator Activity

The answer to your question is no. I don't know how to disable or remove the system tray ZA activity icon. Sorry about that.

silverplate Guest

Default Re: Excessive Traffic Indicator Activity

I am having the same issue. Here is what I got from the BOINC / seti@home forum:

"It isn't accessing the internet. The lights on the ZA icon show the communication between Boinc.exe and Boincmgr.exe

This is happening on TCP port 31416 on the localhost network (127.0.0.1) and is done in real time. On BOINC 5.2.13 this was refreshed every 5 seconds. Now it's done every second. "

Thisproblem is kind of annoying, which now is impossible to tell if you are sending or receiving.

Is there a way to summit a problem report so there might be a chance someone will look at this an come up with a update to fix this?

Thanks,

David

ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5.722.000

Boinc 5.4.9

Thread Information