Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TrueVector

edfye Guest

Default TrueVector

I have been receiving notices that TrueVector has shut down do you want to restart for a couple of weeks. I am using ZA and TV 6.1.737.000. Can you tell me how to fix this? This occurs on boot up and during normal daily internet activity. It normally closes out my active log in in our company's warehouse management system (MACOLA by Inspired Solutions). This creates a hassle as I then have to reboot my computer to get active in our system again.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: TrueVector

An occasion True Vector shutdown is not uncommon but your post suggest it happens several times a week? I don't know the specific cause, but a fresh install can sometimes fix the problem. I'd suggest you do a 'clean' uninstall then install a fresh copy of ZASS. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. Now download and install ZASS anew.

vhradice Guest

I am experiencing the same thing - True Vector has stopped. My concern is with reinstalling ZA clean. Will this wipe out all my settingsand I have to start all over again or will this keep my settings like an upgrade does? Thank you.

p.s. Is there any way to figure out why the True Vector service is stopping? Error? Another process stopping it? Virus? Spyware?

edfye Guest

Thanks for the information. This happens to me several times a day. I will try this clean uninstall.

billc Guest

First, if you do a 'clean' install as I've outlined, you will lose your settings. But, if you are using ZAP or ZASS, you can go to your Overview > Preferences panel and backup your settings, save them to your computer, then restore them after the fresh install.

As to what is causing this it could be several things. A conflict with another application, a bad install with ZA, or indeed it could be a virus. It is not spyware. So, it would be prudent to also do a virus scan as well. You might get a clue if you look at your Event Viewer for True Vector Errors.

sms_in_nc Guest

Upon trying to use my computer after several hours of not using it earlier this evening, I saw the True Vector shutdown msg. I am grateful for those who are here to offer help, but I hope I don't have to do the clean uninstall/install, as I am no where near any kind of expert, and the instructions are very daunting. I guess a determining factor would be how vulnerable my computer is once the True Vector shuts down. Once that happens, am I "open" to the bad guys? Since perusing this forum seems to show that this is a fairly common problem, can't ZA issue a patch to fix whatever is the problem? I didn't pay ZA for the privilege of having me fix their problems.

billc Guest

If True Vector is shutdown, then indeed your firewall is not working. However, if you get a True Vector shutdown notice infrequently, that is not uncommon. If it happens frequently, then I can help you work through using the /clean switch to uninstall ZA. If it happens infrequently, I'd not worry.

It is hard to identify the cause of the problem without knowing every program on your computer and what activity was taking place when the error occurred. A fresh install will often resolve the problem.

sms_in_nc Guest

Bill:

Thanks for the info. So far, only one incidence - the first one I have experienced. Is there any way to tell if my computer was compromised during the shut down timeframe?

billc Guest

My guess is that you're ok. If something nefarious was in your machine and tried to get out, it would have likely tried before True Vector shutdown. And if you were not doing anything on your machine, then you didn't let anything in. However you might feel better if you do a scan of your computer. Do you have an antivirus program installed? If so, just run a scan. If you don't I can suggest a free one if you like and an online scan.

sms_in_nc Guest

Bill:

I've got ZA Anti-virus, as well as spy sweeper, spybot, and Ad-aware. I scanned all the programs, and none reported anything amiss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information