Thread: False "changed program" alerts for Thunderbird/Firefox?

burglekutt Guest

Default False "changed program" alerts for Thunderbird/Firefox?

ZoneAlarm gives "changed program" warnings for both Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5 and Firefox 1.5 occasionally. Neither program has been updated manually or automatically. I have required confirmation for auto updates and I am the only user. I have tried re-installing both Firefox and Thuderbird, but the seemingly false "changed program" alerts persist. The last install for both was on 1/12/06, which is also the date for all DLL files and other extensions in the installation folders. I have verified that these files have retained their original installation time-stamp. Just today, 1/22/06, I received a changed program warning for Thunderbird. The last time I used the program or the PC for that matter was 1/20, on which there were no updates and no ZoneAlarm alerts.

Thanks in advance.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: False "changed program" alerts for Thunderbird/Firefox?

It could indeed be a false alert from ZA which suggests to me a reinstall would fix the problem. Then again, it could be that some nefarious application is trying to use/change Firefox or Thunderbird. Have you done a scan?

If you'd like to change out ZA Free, do it this way. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

Now install a fresh ZA Free.

burglekutt Guest

<blockquote>BillCherryAtl wrote:
    It could indeed be a false alert from ZA which suggests to me a reinstall would fix the problem. Then again, it could be that some nefarious application is trying to use/change Firefox or Thunderbird. Have you done a scan?</blockquote>Yes, with both Spybot S&D and Microsoft Antispyware; they found a few cookies, which I deleted. I've done a clean install of ZA Free as you suggested, so I'll wait & see if it happens again.

TY,
    B.

burglekutt Guest

<blockquote>Now install a fresh ZA Free.</blockquote>I just got another "changed program" alert on TBird from ZA Free. I've not updated TBird or allowed auto-update to do so. Strange indeed.

-B

Thread Information