Thread: Cannot use view source in IE, or view Windows Media files

whitcam Guest

Default Cannot use view source in IE, or view Windows Media files

Recently installed Zone Alarm Security Suite. Now:

1. I cannot access Windows Media (.wmv) files (However, I can access Quicktime (.mov) files)

2. I cannot use the "View Source" feature of Internet Explorer.

Both of these were available prior to installing Zone Alarm. And both are available when I shut down the Zone Alarm Security Suite.

Thank you,

Charlie

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Cannot use view source in IE, or view Windows Media files

Do you have your Mobile Code control on in your Privacy settings Main page? If so, turn it off, clean your cache and try the Windows Media again. About the 'view source'...are you saying the 'option' is no longer available in IE or that it is there but just will not work? I can't reproduce the error.

whitcam Guest

Hi,Thanks for responding.I had previously emailed Zone Alarm Tech Support - at their suggestion I set mobile codeto off, cookie control is off, and add blocking is off. After I cleared cache, this unfortunatelydidnothing. With regard to the view source feature, it is available, however when I try to use it I get a error for notepad which say "access to the specified device, path or file is denied". As noted in initial post, I can view .wmv files andutilize the viewsource feature in IE when I shutdown Zone Alarm.Thanks,Charlie

billc Guest

Hey Charlie. With respect to the .wmv files, do you have the site which you're trying to view 'edited' in your Privacy > Site List? And when you said you turned off all Privacy, was that just for the one site or did you turn off all your 'Main' Privacy? And after you cleaned your cache, did you also 'refresh' the page? The problem lies in your Privacy settings, we just got to find out what is going on.

whitcam Guest

Hi Bill,To answer your questions:"With respect to the .wmv files, do you have the site which you're trying to view 'edited' in your Privacy > Site List? "It is not one site. Over the past few weeks I have attempted to view a number of .wmv files from various sites - all are unavailable. There are only two sites in my site list - nohold.net and ebay.com"And when you said you turned off all Privacy, was that just for the one site or did you turn off all your 'Main' Privacy? "Yes. ZA Technical Support sent me the following: "Please disable the privacy features in Zone Alarm that are blocking the pop-ups and cookies by opening Zone Alarm, click the Privacy Panel, Main Tab, drop all these settings to off, and test the site again. So I shut down all features on Privacy > Main. After it did not work I restored previous settings (cookie=high; add block = med)And after you cleaned your cache, did you also 'refresh' the page? The problem lies in your Privacy settings, we just got to find out what is going on. Yes, cache was cleaned and page refreshed.

Bill

billc Guest

With all your 'Main' Privacy off and your cache cleaned, you should be able to view video files unless your ZA database is corrupt. My suggestion would be to reset your ZA database. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

whitcam Guest

Any idea how this would have become corrupted? (I know -very general question) I have only had this installed for a few weeks and have made only minimal changes from the default.Another note - I tried to download new Google toolbar and I got the same error that I recieve when trying to access source in IE - "access to the specified device, path or file is denied"

billc Guest

A corrupt Zone Alarm database is not all that uncommon. It usually comes as a result of an 'unusual' shutdown like a crash, power outage, a 'Wait to Kill' value too low or it could be the installation was corrupt to begin with. Have you tried the database reset and did that work?

whitcam Guest

I just did the db reset and that seems to have done the trick.Thanks very much Bill.

Thread Information