Thread: "Fatal Error"

ibot Guest

Default "Fatal Error"

I recently installed "ZoneAlarm Security Suite".
    A ran well for about a week. Now when I boot up (Windows XP) I get a "Window Update Complete" message; then a "Fatal Error" message; some text briefly flashes on screen (to quick to read) then the blue screen, then it turns off.
    I'm currently sending this from work since I can't get my computer working.
    Any Ideas, anyone?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: "Fatal Error"

Open your Event Viewer found in your Administrative Tools and click on 'System' to see what might be causing the crash. Just look for the red circle with a X through it. Then click to highlight the entry, now right click and select 'Properties'. See what the Description says happened.

flyyourway Guest

Ha-HA Bill his computer wont even boot,he may have to use safe mode to accomplish this feat.He may also have a virus or some sort of driver conflict.

billc Guest

I guess I've been reading too many posts here and missed the 'can't boot' problem. He could try the Safe Mode.

flyyourway Guest

HeHe BILL,its ok you and others here who help out daily are entitled to all the mistakes in the world.Was just pointing it out to you,Have a beer on me,opps you dont drink beer,how bout a cold glass of WATER?

ibot Guest

Bill,

Thanks for the info.
    However since it was the weekend and the computer I sent this e-mail on was @ work, I resorted to calling Microsoft support.
    After a significant amount of time, it was determined that I should run a repair to XP Home edition to correct the error message I received.
    Apparently there was a hardware/software conflict.
    My attempts to repair the problem would only get so far until I discovered that windows setup woud return a message
    that it could not find any mass storage device.
    This was due to the fact that my Hard drive driver was corrupted.
    I re-installed the driver,
    but the in XP operating repair kept locking at one point or another. It was at this point I did a fresh clean installation.
    Although my computer is up and running again.
    I still need to re-install many previously installed programs.
    I hesitate to jump on the internet with out good security protection.
    After reading the other replies to my original post I also hesitate to download and re-install The ZoneAlarm Security Suite I just purchased for fear that this program may have caused this problem.
    Now what?

billc Guest

I tend to agree with Microsoft, there was likely a conflict between drivers one of which could have been Zone Alarm's True Vector. However, if you've done a fresh install of Windows, I think now would be a good time to install ZASS again before your other programs. If there is going to be a problem, the soon you find it, the better in my view. Anyway, that's my opinion.

Thread Information