Thread: gnotify.exe (part of Gmail) tries to gain outbound access to every site I've visited

emcguy Guest

Default gnotify.exe (part of Gmail) tries to gain outbound access to every site I've visited

I dont check my logs very often, but today I've noticed that ZA free has been blocking outbound access for my Gmail Notify program.
    That fine, because I wanted it blocked.
    And I wouldn't be too worried if it
    was just trying to contact Google.
    But it is
    literally trying to acess the DNS on every web site that I've visited, and many more that I dont recognize.
    Sometimes it wiil try for 99 connects, before it gives up and tries again in a few minutes.
    Is this real? or is it a Zone alarm bug?
    I wrote to google about it, and got an automatic
    cryptic reply bascially saying they wouldnt reply to my email because there were related FAQs at their help center.
    Yah right - I've checked and they have some questions about how to get firewalls from blocking gnotify.
    THATS NOT WHAT I'M ASKING !!!

I want to know why they are contacting every site I've visited,
    and what do they intend to do next.
    CastleCops has a related thread about Gmail and spyware here
    http://castlecops.com/postlite145717-.html
    Google cant be so stupid that they are really bundling spyware or being
    spyware, can they ?????
    Dissappointed in google
    EMCguy

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

billc Guest

Default Re: gnotify.exe (part of Gmail) tries to gain outbound access to every site I've visited

In my opinion, the jury is still out on just how much info Google gathers via their various "free" services and applications. I think they know a lot more than some of us recognize. However, I must say I absolutely rely on their search engine using it frequently on a daily bases.

Each web site you visit is not a DNS server. What might be happening is that gnotify.exe is trying to use whatever means it can to connect with the Gmail server to check for mail including using other programs that do have permission to access the internet. I actually don't believe anything sinister is going on. Do you have the 'auto login' checked for Gmail Notifier?

emcguy Guest

Default Re: gnotify.exe (part of Gmail) tries to gain outbound access to every site I've visited

Thanks Bill

You're right, I do not allow them to auotmatically connect through Zone alarm.
    Thats why I use Zone alarm so I can see who and what is calling home.

What concerns me most is how they got the IP's of many of the sites I visit.
    They could not have gotten them from my emails because I have only used Gmail for half a dozen messages.
    And I have not transfered my address book to Gmail.

So somehow gnotify has snooped on me,

scanned my computer and monitored my activities well beyond their advertised "we'll just monitor your mail and deliver discrete ads based on your emails"

I read my eulas pretty closely, and I dont recall giving them that
    permission.

Gnotify is leaving my computer shortly, and I'm recommedning to others that theyr regard
    it as malware.

Thank you zone alarm for watching my back

Best regards,

EMCguy

unhappy_viewer Guest

Google normally clearly states the type of information they gather very clearly in the EULA. Thats why they aren't branded spyware. They either put the privacy-related information in the EULA diretly or provide a link to Google's privacy information page:
    http://www.google.com/privacy.html

Plus Google is a member of the EU/US Safe Harbor Program, if that means anything:
    http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/

Thread Information