Thread: lsass alert fix

zonepud Guest

Default lsass alert fix

In previous posts I've described the following problem:

When I start my computer, a Zone Alarm alert pops up with the following warning:

"LSA Shell (Export Version) is trying to communicate with C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe -service by opening its process"

There is no way to get rid of this alert. If you check it to remember your setting and authorize, or check it to remember to deny, ZA fails to remember your setting and keeps popping the alert whenever you turn your computer on. Deleting the program from the ZA list and letting it re-discover the lsass does not eliminate the alert. After hours of research and several messeges I have discovered the following:

The problem lay in the OS (operating system) protection option. Under some conditions for some reason the OS protection componant of ZA starts popping this alert. Once I realized that the problem seemed to be caused by the OS component of ZA I did a search in this forum for "OS protection" and found a thread relating to this from 11/23/05. For some reason this thread did not appear in my original search for posts relating to lsass. In that thread it is revealed that this problem first appeared in the latest version of zone alarm. This is not a system problem, this is a Zone Alarm problem. This is not an uncommon problem.

I should say that before you do this, make sure that you are not dealing with one of the lsass viruses. google lsass and learn about the virus and it's location, run your virus scans etc. I appears that in most cases up to date virus scans and online virus scans will catch it if it is the lsass virus. once you've elimated the virus as the problem proceed.

There are two ways to make this alert stop popping up.

One is to simply disable the OS protection in the medium protection option (click on advanced), or set the program protection on "low" instead of medium or high. The problem with this solution is that you are disabling a protection that you are paying for, it was one of the new componants in the updated version of Zone Alarm Pro. I'm not a computer genius, I don't know how OS protection works or how critical it is, but it seems silly to have to disable an added protection. Presumabably, ZA is aware of this problem and is working on fixing it in their next release.

The second solution is to completely uninstall and reinstall ZA. This seems to have worked for a few people as per the thread I described above. It worked for me.

If you don't want to do any of the above, you can simply keep reauthorizing lsass every time you start your computer, in other words ignore it. This problem appears to be benign in terms of system stability or ZA affectiveness.

Paul.

Default Re: lsass alert fix

I am not sure why you are getting this all the time. I only get lsass asking occasionally. Unless you have your system security cranked real tight.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

zonepud Guest

<blockquote><hr>Hoov wrote:
    I am not sure why you are getting this all the time. I only get lsass asking occasionally. Unless you have your system security cranked real tight.
    <hr></blockquote>

I'm not getting it at all anymore. Like I said, I uninstalled and reinstalled ZA and the problem went away. The reason I got the pop-up is that a glitch developed for some reason in OS pretection module, disabling the OS protection or uninstalling and reinstalling ZA fixes it. I don't know why. In the november 05 thread on this topic someone suggests that some file must get currupted and is overwritten during the un-reinstall process. I don't have my security cranked particurarily tight. High firewall, medium program, and no pop-up protection, those are the same setting I've had for three years. Maybe it has something to do with the way computer is set up. I know other people are having the same problem.

My computer is hooked up to a DSL modem, and running a wireless router. I have the router firewall engaged. I also run a wireless MP3 server from this computer. I have an external USB hardrive hooked up for back-ups. Aside from that I don't have anything special going on, I don't do any games except for the dinky ones that come MS, minesweeper, pinball, etc. My compute is relatively old, (four years)and I've installed and uninstalled a lot of programs over that time. Also, I just replaced a hard drive. When I installed this zone alarm I think I told it to transfer the setting and info from the previous install. The piont of all this is that I may have a bunch of **bleep** lurking around my registry and perhaps a program that moniters the OS could get confused looking for stuff that isn't there anymore or some such thing. The fresh install erased all the prevous setting and info. Maybe?

Paul.

geoffjg Guest

Paul,

I have the same problem (every time I boot up) and have tried a couple of the 'fixes' provided via these forums to no avail. So I will follow you lead and hope I am as successful as you appear to have been. Thanks for your research and also for taking the time to post here !

zonepud Guest

<blockquote><hr>Geoffjg wrote:

Paul,

I have the same problem (every time I boot up) and have tried a couple of the 'fixes' provided via these forums to no avail. So I will follow you lead and hope I am as successful as you appear to have been. Thanks for your research and also for taking the time to post here !
    <hr></blockquote>

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Paul.

Thread Information