Thread: ZoneAlarm Pro out of control ...

dgb Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Pro out of control ...

Hi All,
    I have a ZoneAlarm Pro 6.1 and for some days now it seems to be completely out of control, this is what happens :
    - the user GUI is not showing anymore (no more red/green bargraph icon in tray, no more configuration possible,...)- the vsmon process goes up and down up to 50 % CPU load all the time- in the directory C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs the file the tvDebug file is accessed all the time (seems like an earlier post in this thread)- in the same directory about 30 files per minute with names xNNNN (where NNNN seems to be a hexadecimal counter, E.g. xDB77, xDB78, ...) are created, each file has a size of 9 KB and is of type TMP file.

Under these circumstances I have to shut down the ZoneAlarm.
    Any
    way out here
    ?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

jarvis Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Pro out of control ...

You need to reset your database - you will lose all settings in ZA:

You should boot into Safe Mode (press F8 at the start of the boot sequence and select Safe Mode from the menu). ZoneAlarm will not start in Safe mode. Go to your Windows folder and into the Internet Logs folder within it.

Delete IAMDB.RDB and BACKUP.RDB and a file with the extension .LDB where the file name is the same as your computer's name.

At this point you may also delete the .tmp files and tvDebug.log (if it lets you) as they only contain debugging information and have probably grown quite big by now.

When you reboot you should see ZA come up with default settings. Note that because the setup wizard won't run again, many of the features of ZA will be turned off, so check all settings.

dgb Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Pro out of control ...

Hi Jarvis,
    I followed your procedure and I could unblock
    my zonealarm this way !
    Last week I changed the name of the computer and (reading your reply) I think that this is what triggered the problem, but I have no more details aboutt it.
    Thanks !!

Thread Information