Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True Vector Shut Down....again

sploogie Guest

Default True Vector Shut Down....again

Like a few others on this forum, I'm experiencing the "True Vector has encountered a problem and needs to shutdown..." message. However, in my case this typically happens up to 3-4 times an hour so naturally, I am now on the verge of having to dump what has otherwise been a great piece of software. This fault seems to be random in that there does not seem to be any single event that triggers it (quite often, it happens when I'm not doing anything at all).

In every instance, Event Viewer reports "Faulting application vsmon.exe, version 6.1.744.0, faulting module adcom.dll, version 1.0.0.7, fault address 0x0000b1cb". I have tried a clean install as described elsewhere on this forum, but it made no difference. I also tried turning off Event Logging within ZoneAlarm, that made no difference either.

One final point that may be of relevance: this only happens when connected to the network at work (100Mbs LAN); at home (1Mb ADSL), I never encounter this problem.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: True Vector Shut Down....again

Hi sploogie,

"PERHAPS" I can help you, as I am a user of Zone Alarm Pro.
    Before you decide to get rid of Zone Alarm, PLEASE try the following and see if it will solve your problem, if not PLEASE post back.

1.)

Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. Now install a fresh copy of Zone Alarm.

2.)

http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...tallNonNT.html

Thank you for your time and have a nice day!

SlyFox:8}
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. sploogie Guest

Thanks SlyFox, I have followed your suggested procedures and will see what happen when I connect to my work LAN later on.

socalreviews Guest

I had the True Vector Shut Down problem on four different computers after installing ZAP 6.1.737 with clean install on to systems with ZAP 6.0.667. I waited until after 6.1.744 was released to upgrade again and when I did I followed SlyFox's instructions exactly on all those systems by not loading ZAP during start up (unchecking the option) then rebooting then following the clean uninstall procedure including manual ZoneAlarm file seartch and deletion. Keep a copy of your subscription on hand since sometimes it will ask for it again after complete clean uninstall. Now 6.1.744 is working perfectly on all those systems. As much as you intended to do so I would bet that you did not completely uninstall the previous version.

You need to follow the directions exactly including turning off ZAP load on startup then reboot, then /clean uninstall. Emply recycle bin and do manual file deletion, you need to make sure hidden files are shown so that you can see those ZoneAlarm files needed to be deleted. After all that remove the ZoneAlarm directory in Program Files and all the subdirectories as directed by the ZoneLabs detailed instructions link in part 2) of SlyFox's post. Print out those instructions and check them off with a pencil one by one including deleting the easy to miss ZoneAlarm prefetch file. Run the Windows XP disk cleanup program which is one of the Windows system tools, make sure web client/publisher temporary files box is checked also and empty the recycle bin yet again. You should be able to reboot with no more ZoneAlarm left over except for some basic account information. You can check your Windows task manager to see if True Vector service or any other ZA program is running. You can then re-hide those Windows files that you just unhid.

Next do a clean install of ZAP 6.1.744 . It will take a while for the new install to configure ZAP as it finds all the programs for ZAP and the True Vector service to authenticate which is part of its security features. Follow the install instructions exactly and you should have a working system with no more True Vector Shut Down errors again. You might also want to create a new Windows XP restore point. It should work for you. It worked on four different systems for me. You should find 6.1.744 to be a little faster, more efficient, and overall a good release.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 03-19-200605:32 PM

bmuse Guest

Hi all.
    I'm using ZAP 5.5.059, and over the weekend, I began getting True Vector shutdowns on every one of my PC's.
    I tried the /clean install options, I deleted the temp files -- nothing worked.
    There was no common event (i.e., new program or changes) between the PC's to trigger this.
    The shutdowns were very frequent -- sometimes when I'd run the browser, other times when nothing was happening at all.

This morning, my father called me (he's in another state).
    He also uses ZAP 5.5.
    When he turned his monitor on this morning, there was a crash dialog: True Vector Service has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Enough people are reporting this on these forums (and across enough versions) that I think there must be a common widespread True Vector problem happening.
    There was something similar back in June, that affected not only ZoneAlarm users, but CA EZArmor users as well (EZArmor licenses the ZA firewall).

What's
    going on?!?

oldironman Guest

Well, you would think that the ZAP folks would check in on these boards now and then ... now that I think about it, I imagine many people have called the help desk to get this fixed. So why haven't the IT posted in on this themselves. It has been long enough for them to come up with a fix. The advertised great support is one reason I was willing to pay for the Pro version. Oh well, I have to go uninstall ZAP - talk to y'all later. I will only post back if the above instructions doesn't work. You folks above - thank you
    for your support.

Mark

socalreviews Guest

There is one more thing you can add to those removal instructions. There are a few registry entries for ZoneAlarm that can be removed. Be careful editing the registry and make a backup before you do anything with it. SlyFox has posted some registry editing instructions that you can do in addition to the complete clean uninstall and manual Zone Alarm file search and deletion. It is a good idea to disconnect from the internet by turning off your modem or router. Also temporarily turn off any antispyware or antivirus software before doing the /clean uninstall and also during the install or the security software could be preventing any changes you are trying to make. Some antivirus programs such as Norton and PC-Cillin have built in firewall software that conflicts with ZoneAlarm so make sure those have their firewall also disabled. Re-enable that software but not the firewall portion of it after getting a new working copy of Zone Alarm on your system.

Take a look at the installation message board also. The instructions do work and it shouldn't take more than 20 or 30 minutes maximum but take your time to do it right. There are uninstall and install instructions and success stories all over that board. Make sure you have your license key and have downloaded the very latest version 6.1.744 . Call tech support if you have any other problems. It really is worth it to get the new version running right on your system and the new version works really well. I think that you will be very happy when you get it running correctly on your system.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 03-22-200603:22 AM

sploogie Guest

It worked! A week on and no TrueVector shut-downs.

I had done the clean uninstall as per your instructions before with no luck, so I expect the manual file 'search and destroy' option was perhaps the key.

Many thanks.

sploogie Guest

Thanks for your response.

As I've mentioned above, following your/SlyFox's procedure has indeed fixed the problem and I've not encountered a True Vector shut-down since. What I'd not done before was the manual file search and deletion part of the operation.

Only took about 20 minutes and was worth it - the alternative was having to dump an otherwise excellent utility.

cheers,

sploogie.

socalreviews Guest

Thanks to SlyFox for the persistant postings of how to do those uninstall and reinstall procedures. If not for SlyFox I also would still be running 6.0.667 instead of 6.1.744.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information