Thread: win32.trojan.dialer.hz - False Positive?

atsfrw Guest

Default win32.trojan.dialer.hz - False Positive?

HI;

Zone Alarm has been saying "win32.trojan.dialer.hz" is on my home computers, but it is only Zone Alarm that is detecting it. (Have also run Spybot S & D, Norton anti-virus, MS Anti-Spyware and the latest and greatest of Spy Sweeper, all producing no hits. Note - All products are up to date.) I have been unable to trace the source at this time. Have read this may be a false positive on the Zone Alarm web site, but that was 2 or 3 years ago. Is it still true as being a false positive, after all of this time? If is is a false positive does Zone Alarm have a fix?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: win32.trojan.dialer.hz - False Positive?

Hi atsfrw,

PLEASE go to the following thread and it will answer your question.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=Antivirus&message.id=10439

SlyFox:8}
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. socalreviews Guest

I had the exact same alert come up on my system. I suspected it might be a false positive because no other AS program found it. I don't know where it came from but it was a registry entry. I quarantined it anyway. I have not noticed any effect on my system at all one way or the other. In addition to ZAP 6.1.744 with all features enabled I run NAV 2003 (as part of SystemWorks 2003), Spybot S&D, Spywareblaster, MS Antispyware, McAfee Antispyware 2006 v2, McAfee Quickclean and Webroot SpySweeper. I only have an Athlon XP 2600+ with 1GB RAM. Believe it or not my system is really quite fast. I even play games like Call of Duty 2 with all the AV and AS software turned on and my system runs great. I really like the improved efficiency of ZAP 6.1.744. It also helps that I turned off a number of XP services that I never use and run in the background like Windows Messenger (instructions on MS site how to prevent from starting up at all) and I turned off many Microsoft networking services that just take up memory .

atsfrw Guest

<blockquote><hr>SoCalReviews wrote:
    I had the exact same alert come up on my system. I suspected it might be a false positive because no other AS program found it. I don't know where it came from but it was a registry entry. I quarantined it anyway. I have not noticed any effect on my system at all one way or the other. In addition to ZAP 6.1.744 with all features enabled I run NAV 2003 (as part of SystemWorks 2003), Spybot S&amp;D, Spywareblaster, MS Antispyware, McAfee Antispyware 2006 v2, McAfee Quickclean and Webroot SpySweeper. I only have an Athlon XP 2600+ with 1GB RAM. Believe it or not my system is really quite fast. I even play games like Call of Duty 2 with all the AV and AS software turned on and my system runs great. I really like the improved efficiency of ZAP 6.1.744. It also helps that I turned off a number of XP services that I never use and run in the background like Windows Messenger (instructions on MS site how to prevent from starting up at all) and I turned off many Microsoft networking services that just take up memory .
    <hr></blockquote>
    Thanks for the information.

atsfrw Guest

Thanks for the information. Something must have changed on the ZAP side to generate the false positives again.

socalreviews Guest

Thank you in return for making the original post since now I know I was not the only one suspecting that exact alert of being a False Positive. I am now wondering if the ZA antispyware picked up a prevention type of change to the registry that was made by Spybot S&amp;D, Spywareblaster or another AS program.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 03-29-200602:39 AM

Thread Information