Thread: Zone Alarm and remote control - security beyond all usability

brendanh Guest

Default Zone Alarm and remote control - security beyond all usability

You can't click anything in ZA remotely using PC Anywhere, Remotely Anywhere, and probably all other remote control software. This is extremely inconvenient, as you can't install any new apps and allow them through, and all alerts remain on top of Window you want to view and you can't get rid of them. Why not make this security feature optional? I'm sure there are many like me who use remote-control software and are severly impeded by this. Better still allow it on a per-application basis, so you could make it possible for people to allow their legitimate RC software ie. PCAnywhere, Remotely Anywhere, etc to click and type in ZA, but not a nasty virus. At the end of the day, Zone Labs need to allow its users to balance the security vs the usability of their PCs, and not allowing users to toggle this feature is too draconian IMO.

billc Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm and remote control - security beyond all usability

I agree. My advice would be for you to suggest this to Zone Labs Technical Support and suggest it. Earlier versions of Zone Alarm Pro had this as an option. And I just responded to another post about this same issue and the user said the option is back. I'm still on Zone Alarm Pro 6.1.737.000 how about you?

jarvis Guest

FYI, this option IS back but only in the FREE ZA. It's in Overview (panel) --> Preferences (tab) --> General (section) under the "Load at startup" option.

In the paid versions of ZA, the OS firewall is what is preventing remote access programs interacting with ZA. You could try giving the PCAnywhere Server program (or Host, as they call it) a Trust Level of Super (3 green bars).

It might work or might not: I seem to remember a post from the Moderator saying that even programs with Super permission can't access any Zonelabs files - which is bourne out by running some AV scans that cause OS Firewall alerts saying the scanner "was prevented from modifying Zlclient.exe" for example. Of course we're not actually talking about file access, but the same principle may apply - that even Super programs cannot interact with the firewall in any way.

I agree with Bill that you should let Tech Support know your concerns, especially if the above suggestion doesn't work.

brendanh Guest

Nope, I've tried giving Remotely Anywhere full perms, but still can't click anything in ZA.

Thread Information