Thread: Zone Alarm alerts Mozilla Browser "changed program" - could this be a false/positive?

libra Guest

Default Zone Alarm alerts Mozilla Browser "changed program" - could this be a false/positive?

ZA just alerted that Mozilla is a "changed program". When I looked at the more info area, it showed Mozilla.exe and the MD5# was all 000's, Program size: 0, Date created: November 29, 1979, the version was correct, Remote port 2066, Remote Address 127.0.0.1.

I immediately went to the jotti site and had the Mozilla.exe file scanned and all scanners found no problem.

I can find the MD5 number and the actual file size when I explore this file. The creation date listed in ZA (1979) is kind of odd.

Could this be a quirk in Zone Alarm? Is there anything else I should check?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:4.x

billc Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm alerts Mozilla Browser "changed program" - could this be a false/positive?

From your post, I'm tendency is to say it is as you suggested, a false alert because of some corruption in the Zone Alarm database. But to be on the safe side, I'd also do a virus scan at Trend Micro's Housecall .

BTW, did you update your Mozilla browser?

libra Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm alerts Mozilla Browser "changed program" - could this be a false/positive?

Hi Bill,
    Thank you for your reply. I haven't updated Mozilla, but in the past month the Event Viewer shows 5 application hang errors for it. I also have 2 or 3 ZA corrupt errors (we've had some problems with the electricity causing this.)
    I went to Trend Micro and it said it could scan with Mozilla - I have Sun Java, but then it wanted to install a kernel so I exited. I imagine I have to use the Admin account in order to scan there and install this kernel - does this kernel stay permanently on the computer and is it safe?
    Thank you.
    Sincerely, Libra

billc Guest

Using Trend Micro is totally safe. Whatever is installed will remain until you remove it. However, it will have no effect on your machine or security. I assume you still have Internet Explorer installed? If so, use that browser to do the scan at Trend Micro.

libra Guest

Thank you, Bill. I have Internet Explorer and I went to the old Trend Micro Housecall 60 and did a complete scan. Everything's fine. I appreciate your help and advice very much.

Sincerely, Libra

Thread Information