Thread: ALPS Pointing device is attempting to monitor user activiities!

leah Guest

Default ALPS Pointing device is attempting to monitor user activiities!

This is the security alert that I get on daily start up - I have denied it access but I don't know how else to correct this problem - I have scanned for trojans, viruses etc and come up clean - anyone have any other suggestions? BTW I also had a Win32.Trojan Dialer alert from ZA antispyware when I initially installed ZAP a few days ago and it was sucessfully quarantined. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: ALPS Pointing device is attempting to monitor user activiities!

The apntex.exe (aka ALPS Pointing device) is used by your computer to receive input from either a touchpad (on a notebook computer) or from a mouse. It should be monitoring your activities. It is not evil as best I can tell so I'd 'allow' it access so it will stop asking or put red X's next to it to totally block access. It probably just wants to check for updates anyway.

leah Guest

Thanks for responding so quickly Bill. I was concerned because the ZAP alert determined it was "suspicious behaviour" and since I had found a keylogger on my computer recently I was paranoid lol. It gave me the impression that a trojan was using the device to call home. Again, thanks for your suggestions.

billc Guest

You are welcome. It is always prudent to deny now and ask questions. You can always 'allow' later.

Thread Information