Thread: Unwanted update message

stoorel Guest

Default Unwanted update message

I'm using the latest Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite with XP and connecting to the Internet via a modem. Whenever I'm using the computer and not connected to the Internet (deliberately) I keep getting seemingly random Zone Alarm messages advising it needs to update the junk email blocking rules and do I want to connect to the Internet to do it. The answer is 'No' - I'll connect up when I want to, not when Zone Alarm wants to. The problem is it keeps coming back every so often and disrupts my keyboard work. I used a utility to quickly answer 'No' to the message, but it was still disruptive and in the end have turned the junk email filter off. The question is, how can one keep the junk email filter running, but not be disrupted by a message when I'm deliberately not connected to the Internet!?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: Unwanted update message

If you're not connected to the internet, then you could just shutdown ZASS.

stoorel Guest

Thanks Bill, but that isn't very technically advanced. Leaving the computer off would also work. Apart from having the nuisance of manual steps to activate the suite, there is the risk of forgetting to activate the firewall etc. when connecting up. I'm afraid it is better to leave the junk email filter turned off. If manual operation is the best way to go, then what we seem to have is a 'connected-only application', and I don't remember seeing anything that warned that unless you are connected up from the outset you would be bugged by messages to do so. I hope someone in Zone Labs is reading this. If the more important virus and spyware signatures can be transparently updated when you connect up, and presumably the junk email signatures at the same time, then why do we need to be bugged about junk email updates, if not the others? I suggest that the connection-request message is redundant and should be removed, and a registry tweak to bypass it in the meantime would be welcome! Somewhat ironically, the junk email update message seems to be a junk message itself.

ezbngrn Guest

I have to agree with you! I just got thru updating ZA this morning and 1 hour later up pops the request.... Why it didn't update when I was connected, I haven't the slightest.

Also it's smart enough to know when to request access to the internet, why isn't it smart enough to disconnect itself?
    I have forgotten to disconnect manually and 5 hours later it was still connected and the next day it requested access again!

Grumpy old men want to know!

stoorel Guest

<blockquote><hr>EzBnGrn wrote:

I have to agree with you! I just got thru updating ZA this morning and 1 hour later up pops the request.... Why it didn't update when I was connected, I haven't the slightest.

Also it's smart enough to know when to request access to the internet, why isn't it smart enough to disconnect itself? I have forgotten to disconnect manually and 5 hours later it was still connected and the next day it requested access again! Grumpy old men want to know!
    <hr></blockquote>
    I've since asked ZoneLabs about the problem of the junk mail filter bugging you if you are not logged in, and they have apologised and said &quot;At this time you will need to be connected to the internet or turn off the junk mail filter. There is no way to modify the alert or change it to only come up once your online.&quot; I've taken &quot;At this time&quot; to mean that they recognise that this is a temporary problem that they are addressing, ie. at a future time it won't be a problem! So now it is a matter of waiting for an update (hopefully) that overcomes it. In the meantime I've got the filter turned off, but in my circumstances am able to happily get away with that and make the most of the other functions (which are good). I would expect this company to see that this is a problem, presumably something to do with tying up these evidently disparate coding components of the suite. I think they will fix it!

Thread Information