Thread: IE trying to monitor user activities

cptcanuck Guest

Default IE trying to monitor user activities

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I'd rather ask a stupid question than face trouble down the road. Since installing Internet Explorer 7 I constantly get a popup warning from ZA Security Suite "Internet Explorer is attempting to monitor user activities on this computer..." I have no idea what this means or if it is dangerous. I know my system is clean as I take security seriously and conduct daily scans using of course ZA anti-virus as well as AVG by Grisoft, A-Squared by Emsisoft, Trojan Hunter, AdAware and SpyBot S&D. I also conduct several online scans bi-weekly. I always deny persmission but never check that little box - I prefer to answer each individual request. One thing though, when I open IE and get the warning from ZA, if I deny permission I cannot use the "view source code" feature anymore. If I deny permission then try to view source code I get a popup from Windows that says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file." If I grant persmission for IE to monitor activities then I am able to use the view source code feature. Other than that IE performs without any problems.

The only thing I can think of is since IE 7 is still beta there may be some sort of data reporting mechanism bundled with it that I don't know about.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

flyyourway Guest

Default Re: IE trying to monitor user activities

This is normal,as IE needs input from devices you use such as mouse and keyboard,so IE monitors these for user input.

cptcanuck Guest

Seems like a reasonable explanation. The strange thing is though I've never seen this message prior to upgrading to IE 7. Anyway, thanks for the response.

learner2020 Guest

IE uses a Global Hook, that's why you are getting the message, under Program Control if you look at Programs where the trust level is at, if you have one green bar ZA is " suppose to block Global Hooks ", but doesn't always do it

Also, the trust level for IE 7 may need to be changed to two or three bars.

Thread Information