Thread: True Vector shut down when I visited a site!

zaprobs Guest

Default True Vector shut down when I visited a site!

Just received a Google alert about my domain. I checked the site in Google and then clicked Googe's link for the site.

BAM - True vector shut down and the page continued to load.

Tried this in both Opera and Firefox with the same result.

The link was (obfuscated to protect the innocent) http://26xx.xrgbax.info/.

Has my machine been infected with something new? And, what should I do?

Thanks,

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: True Vector shut down when I visited a site!

My first guess is that the site is the problem at not your machine. Unless it is an 'Adult' site, go ahead and post the URL so I can test it.

zaprobs Guest

Thanks for the quick response, Bill. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but was away from my machine all day.

The site does not appear to be adult but I stopped the load so I'm not sure. This is the link: 2673.1rgba3.info.

I don't have any problems with ZA on any other site so I'm sure you are right that it is the site. I;m just worried that my machine may have been infected with something from this site.

Thanks,

billc Guest

With Internet Explorer I got the same results as you, True Vector had to close and the site would not load. With my default browser, Firefox, it loaded as a page with links to silver jewelry. It looked like a Google search result page but without the Google logo. Viewing the page source code did not lead me to believe that your machine got infected. Sometimes the coding on a page is so poor that True Vector just won't let it load.

I did load it in IE once I turned off all my Zone Alarm Pro Privacy and it indeed is a messy page. A subsequent Hijack This review did not unveil any nasty applications or malware. Unless you observe some unusual behavior, I'd not worry. You can probably get the site to load as I did by turn off all your Privacy. Frankly I'd use Google to find silver jewelry.

zaprobs Guest

Thanks, Bill. I never tried to load that page with IE, only with Firefox and Opera. The only reason I even looked at the page was because of a Google Alert I received for my domain name and because there have been so many lately with similar .info 4 numeral subdomains.

Thanks for the reassurance that nothing appeared to be malevolent about this site. So far, nothing seems wrong and Spybot found nothing. Very nice to hear HijackThis found nothing either.

The site is no longer in Google's index.

Thanks so much for checking it out!

Message Edited by zaprobs on 06-02-2006 08:11 PM

billc Guest

Let me add something. This morning my NAV did the weekly scan of my computer and found IEToolBar spyware but I'm not at all sure where it might have come from in the first place. It was fixed so no harm done. If you don't regularly scan with an AV program, I think you should. BTW, what is a "Google Alert" from your domain name?

zaprobs Guest

I do scan with AV s/w plus 3 to 5 different spyware programs on a regular weekly or oftener basis. I have java and activeX turned off and NEVER use IE except to update windows. I'm pretty paranoid about this machine and keeping things updated

Google alerts "about" my domain, not "from" it.
    http://www.google.com/alerts?hl=en

Great to keep up to date about all sorts of things.

Thread Information