Thread: Description Packet sent from 192.168.0.101 (UDP Port 1089) to 192.168.0.1 (DNS) was blocked

eugenemcardle Guest

Default Description Packet sent from 192.168.0.101 (UDP Port 1089) to 192.168.0.1 (DNS) was blocked

Hi, I am new here. I have no problems with zone alarm basic, but I keep getting the above message several times a day I know I can turn it off, but my concern is that DNS address is my wireless router. Can anyone tell me what it means?
    Many thanks
    Eugene McArdle

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

socalreviews Guest

Default Re: Description Packet sent from 192.168.0.101 (UDP Port 1089) to 192.168.0.1 (DNS) was blocked

That looks like a data packet was sent from your computer (192.168.0.101) to your modem or router (at address 192.168.0.1) . It probably doesn't hurt anything if it was blocked but it could possibly effect your connection or prevent it from obtaining an IP address. Below are some possible causes for this alert.

The first thing to look at is that many Internet providers install connection diagnostic, management, and statistical software on your computer when you first sign up for DSL or Cable service with their connection software CD. The newer modems or router/modems they use store this data to help with your connection. Most of the connection software is harmless but I usually uninstall all that software after signing up with a service provider since I have found it slows down my computer. There are many sites that can help you get rid of the annoying ISP installed software that is not necessary for your internet connection. Take a look at the dslreports dot com web site for more information on how to get rid of that unnecessary software for your particular ISP. One word of caution though is that if you use specialized software such as provided by AOL or Earthlink then uninstalling their connection software might result in the other useful software such as their special web browsers, email, etc. to stop working.

Another more likely scenario regardless of whether you have connection software installed is that your computer might simply be trying to obtain an IP address from the modem/router. In that case your computer is simply registering with the router which is your DNS server and you should allow it. By putting 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.101 in the trusted zone you could stop the alerts from popping up.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 05-24-200612:50 AM

Thread Information