Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZoneAlarm Security Alert, Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSB

walmor Guest

Default Re: Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSB

I had the same problems like other users working with HP notebooks after updating Zone Alarm.

Yes, the messages are related to the HP Quick Launch Buttons tool.

If you do not use those predefined finctions or hotkeys you should inactivate the eabconf.cpl file by the help of "startup organizer" of "Metaproducts" (www.metaproducts.com) or "Autoruns" of Sysinternals (www.sysinternal.com). This stops the ZoneAlarm messages.
    Until now I did not observe any disadvantages.

meconfused Guest

Default Re: Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSB

I'm having similar issues. Several alerts regarding cpqset.sys, these have mysteriously stopped. I had one time allowed and denied and also used the "remember this setting" for both allow and deny. Got the same alert, now not getting them.

I am however getting a red alert regarding EABUSB and that regedit is trying to modify such. I am only using one time allow and deny until I can find out more. Which brings me here. Where is seems thatI am not alone, which is somehow comforting, with this problem.

I'm running a Compaq V2000 with WinXP Home SP2: ZA AV v6.5.722.00. I am thankful that I have not had some of the problems with this version that I have read about.

I would like to know if "walmor" uses the quick launch buttons. I do, I like them, and don't want to disable them.Sooooooooo what now?

Howard

dmr Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Security Alert, Registry Editor Problem on zd8000

Hi Jerry,
    I also have an HP Pavilion and after recently install ZA, got the same message you and Beth had been receiving, but only after I had added a USB memory stick.
    I have also denied permission and everything worked well, but I wondered if you had experienced any problems since giving permission to the request.
    Appreciate your advice when you can.
    Philip.

anymouse Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Alert, Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSB

Gooberpeas wrote over two years ago to this thread the following:

and now also get this alert;
    ATI Desktop Control Panel is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSB
    Application: atiptaxx.exe

Strangely enough, upon renewing my subscription to Zone Alarm's update service on my wife's computer, when my own (a laptop) was brought on line this error came up on my computer.

I have "one time only" denied it with no trouble, but the error is intermittent - maybe 60% of the time when I turn my computer on I get it.

I see Gooberpeas did not seem to get an answer . . . perhaps someone can help me? Is my ATI Utility holding a file that it masquerading as the real atiptaxx.exe, or is something else going on here?

As I have just landed a telecommuting job after disabled unemployment for thirteen years, a functioning computer has just become -real- important to me . . .

Thanks . . . James.

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Alert, Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSB

<blockquote><hr>Anymouse wrote:
    Gooberpeas wrote over two years ago to this thread the following:

and now also get this alert;
    ATI Desktop Control Panel is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSB
    Application: atiptaxx.exe

Strangely enough, upon renewing my subscription to Zone Alarm's update service on my wife's computer, when my own (a laptop) was brought on line this error came up on my computer.

I have "one time only" denied it with no trouble, but the error is intermittent - maybe 60% of the time when I turn my computer on I get it.

I see Gooberpeas did not seem to get an answer . . . perhaps someone can help me? Is my ATI Utility holding a file that it masquerading as the real atiptaxx.exe, or is something else going on here?

As I have just landed a telecommuting job after disabled unemployment for thirteen years, a functioning computer has just become -real- important to me . . .

Thanks . . . James.
    <hr></blockquote>

hmmm first gues it was related to the usb drivers....but further checking found out this was incorrect. So much for a hunch......

In the Run type in 'devmgmt.msc' (without the quote marks) and then OK.
    In the Device Manager Control Panel, in it's toolbar under the 'View', check the 'Show hidden devices'. The 'eabusb.sys' maybe seen in the 'Non Plug and Play devices or somewhere in the tree seen in the Device Manager.
    If found, then right click it and in the Properties will be seen the details (the exact name can be then found using the 'Find' in the regedit and that registry key(s) will give the exact file location.

Also, just using window's own file search will reveal the location of the eabusb and again the Properties seen in the right click of the file will reveal details such as times/dates and vendor and version.
    All this helps point to what and why the file is being used for.

Most files such as .ocx and .dll or .sys or .drv or .scr do no appear in the Zone Alarm's Program list, but instead usually appear in the Component Control listing.
    In the Component Control list, look for the eabusb file and there too will be seen the file location and perhaps a brief file name description - note it maybe called something else besides eabusb so look very carefully!

As far as I can tell the 'eabusb' is a hewitt packard file or a windows file....should be located either in the windows\system 32\driver folders or in the program files\hewitt packard\quick launch buttons folder. Could be located in a folder in the root of the drive too.
    Basically it is a keyboard filter driver and this does explain why the ati file is attempting to use it as no doubt the ati file does have it's own hooks into the keyboard and keys (even though there maybe a seperate ati hotkey file).

All in all, harmless, and just one of those normal things that is always happening with the windows and drivers and supported applications, that would never even be noticed or realised until a firewall or HIPS enters into the picture and sudeenly that makes you go hmmmm... what is that? And what do I do now??
    Harmless and normal and allow it!

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

brianx Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Alert, Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or servic

Quote Originally Posted by oldsod View Post
    <blockquote>
    <hr></blockquote>

hmmm first gues it was related to the usb drivers....but further checking found out this was incorrect. So much for a hunch......

In the Run type in 'devmgmt.msc' (without the quote marks) and then OK.
    In the Device Manager Control Panel, in it's toolbar under the 'View', check the 'Show hidden devices'. The 'eabusb.sys' maybe seen in the 'Non Plug and Play devices or somewhere in the tree seen in the Device Manager.
    If found, then right click it and in the Properties will be seen the details (the exact name can be then found using the 'Find' in the regedit and that registry key(s) will give the exact file location.

Also, just using window's own file search will reveal the location of the eabusb and again the Properties seen in the right click of the file will reveal details such as times/dates and vendor and version.
    All this helps point to what and why the file is being used for.

Most files such as .ocx and .dll or .sys or .drv or .scr do no appear in the Zone Alarm's Program list, but instead usually appear in the Component Control listing.
    In the Component Control list, look for the eabusb file and there too will be seen the file location and perhaps a brief file name description - note it maybe called something else besides eabusb so look very carefully!

As far as I can tell the 'eabusb' is a hewitt packard file or a windows file....should be located either in the windows\system 32\driver folders or in the program files\hewitt packard\quick launch buttons folder. Could be located in a folder in the root of the drive too.
    Basically it is a keyboard filter driver and this does explain why the ati file is attempting to use it as no doubt the ati file does have it's own hooks into the keyboard and keys (even though there maybe a seperate ati hotkey file).

All in all, harmless, and just one of those normal things that is always happening with the windows and drivers and supported applications, that would never even be noticed or realised until a firewall or HIPS enters into the picture and sudeenly that makes you go hmmmm... what is that? And what do I do now??
    Harmless and normal and allow it!

Oldsod.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Here we are in 2011 and I've got the same prob.
    Thankful that I found Oldsod's response.
    Shall backup all and take his advice. Fingers crossed.

Still - one would have hoped that this prob had been resolved before now without the users having to solve the problem.

Regards, BrianX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information