Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm Security Alert, Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSB

gooberpeas Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Security Alert, Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSB

I upgraded to version 6.5.714.000 yesterday, and all appeared fine. I turned on my laptop (Windows XP) this afternoon, and during startup I got this warning;<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr>ZoneAlarm Security Alert, SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR, Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSBApplication: regedit.exe</BLOCKQUOTE>Idid a one-time Deny,but I'd like to know what this warning is and whether or not it is really okay to allow it, as I assume this prompt will pop up again.If it matters, my laptop is an HP Pavilion zd8000.thank you, beth

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

cdu Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Security Alert, Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSB

I too, have been having problems since upgrading tothe new version.

My message is this: Image Mastering API is trying to modify an existing driver or service: NAVAP

I have seen that there are other threads indicating similar issues since the new version. So, obviously, there must be a bug with it.

Message Edited by CDU on 06-17-2006 04:11 PM

jaceson Guest

Actually, I do not think it is a bug, so much as a coincidence. I had the same error message, but with an additional one as well: Wgatray is trying to modify an existing driver or service: NAVAP. The whole Wgatray thing was annoying anyway, so I set out to remove it. Nothing in the Add/Remove Programs for the Windows Genuine Advantage. A quick search turned up a few sites with instructions for getting rid of Wga, which I put to good use. Now, when I start up my computer, there's no mention of Wgatray or any other program attempting to modify NAVAP. Looks like problem solved.

If you're anything like me, a prompting to install the latest version of ZoneAlarm generally leads to doing a quick Window's update as well. It just so happens that the WGA install took place during my last trip to Window's Update, and therefore my last install of a new version of ZoneAlarm.

I think we can blame this one on Microsoft (for once).

Jaceson

cdu Guest

Jaceson,

I think you are wrong. Version 6.1 was working just fine Thursday (with WGA installed). I updated ONLY ZoneAlarm Pro to 6.5 on Friday, and that's when my problems started. I began having intermittent Internet connectivity, and I kept getting warnings that imapi.exe was trying to modify an existing driver or service (usually trying to modifymy anti-virus). Imapi.exe is Image Mastering API, which from what I have read is simply used for burning CDs and/or DVDs.

I blew my entire Saturday trying to figure out what was wrong, thinking I had a virus. Then I finally came to this forum, and read that others were getting the same messages after installing the ZAPro update. I did a "/clean" uninstall of ZAPro 6.5, and reinstalled 6.1. Everything seems to be back to normal now.

jplath Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Security Alert, Registry Editor Problem on zd8000

Beth - I also upgraded to version 6.5.714.000 yesterday, and all appeared fine same as with you. When I turned on my laptopthis morning I got the samewarning during startup;<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr>ZoneAlarm Security Alert, SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR, Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSBApplication: HPZipm12.exe</BLOCKQUOTE>When I denied the access, I then got the same message for the application"hosts08.exe". When I denied it, I got another one for "regedit.exe". It seems like an amazing coincidence, but I also have an HP Pavilion zd8000 and the exact configuration as you do. I didn't see any helpful response from the Zone Alarm people. Did you get any help with your situation?ThanksJerry

gooberpeas Guest

Jerry,I've installed the next update. We'll see if I get that Alert again.beth

jplath Guest

Beth,

I installed it yesterday and I had the same problem when I rebooted this morning. Please let me know if this also happens to you.

Thanks,

Jerry

gooberpeas Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Alert, Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSB

I'm at version 6.5.722.000 now.I still get this alert;<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr>Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSBApplication: regedit.exe</BLOCKQUOTE>and now also get this alert;<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr>ATI Desktop Control Panel is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSBApplication: atiptaxx.exe</BLOCKQUOTE>Ihave continued with the one-time Deny strategy, which does not seem to have caused a problem.I have searched the net in an attempt to find out what EABUSB is; all I have been able to gather is that it is probably related to USB devices. I do have USB devices, but they were connected when I set up my new laptop several months ago. Nothing new has been installed during the period of time when the last two ZoneAlarm updates were applied.While I will not say that the past two ZoneAlarm upgrades are buggy, I will say that I need help understanding the choice I should make: Allow or Deny. These two upgrades have exposed more alerts to me, and I simply do not know what they are about or how to evaluate whether or not the modifications these two applications want to make are okay to allow.thanks, beth

jplath Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Alert, Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSB

Beth,

I upgraded to the same revision as you did and I also continued to get the same messages. I decided to give the "Allow" strategy a try. Each of the last 3 times I booted my computer, the same message comes up specifying another application in the warning. I have "allowed" all of them. This morning my computed booted normally and did not give another warning message. I'm not telling you this was the safe thing to do, but it did stop the warning messages. I have not noticed anything different about using my computer and it has not slowed down or anything like that. I did a full system scan for anti-virus and anti-spyware on Friday afternoon and Zone Alarm found nothing new. If I run into any problems over the next few days I'll let you know.

Jerry

p_brane Guest

Default Re: Registry Editor is trying to modify an existing driver or service: EABUSB

Beth

I too have a Pavllion notebook (dv4000) and after updating ZA received that samemessage - along with several others involving EABUSB. I went to Windows\system32\drivers andlooked up the properties for eabusb.sys and found that it has to do with the Quick Launch buttons.

Prior to upgrading ZA, did you receive Alerts from ZA regarding cpqset.sys? I did, and I think the ZA update has just intensified the severity of the warnings.

That's just a guess though.

Perhaps the real ZA tech support folks will shed some light on the issue.

Doug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information