Thread: OS Firewall : message of suspicious behaviour, etc.. ZoneAlarm 6.5.714.000 version ####

rvboutin Guest

Default OS Firewall : message of suspicious behaviour, etc.. ZoneAlarm 6.5.714.000 version ####

Hi,I think the new version of OS Firewall included in version 6.5.714 needs improvements. And considering the number of posts, I think I'm not alone having trouble with this new version !! It is too "sensitive", I got a pop-up "suspicious behavior.. something" every 5 minutes or on any click X-(. There is many legitimate changes made by various software such as Norton Antivirus 2006, or even Windows accessing registry keys, or drivers, starting or stopping services.I have no obvious clue to really know if these access are legitimate or no. If I allow maybe I'm exposing myself to a threat (although I guess NO from the program name (Norton or Windows XP) ), if I may get Windows crash or Programs hanging... :0I have to add that several Norton and Adware SE scan did not pick-up any adware/spyware or virus, so I guess the system is healthy.So I think there is improvement possible in the new version of ZoneAlarm pro in the OSFirewall component, to have automatic pre-configuration loaded for known programs,as it is for Program Control component.So, to conclude, until the version 6.5.714 has improved, I'll get back and stick to the last known (and that I have used)stable version 6.1.744.001. If anyone wants to comment on this.. I'll be happy to have other people felling about this.Cheers,Rv

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

unhappy_viewer Guest

Default Re: OS Firewall : message of suspicious behaviour, etc.. ZoneAlarm 6.5.714.000 version ####

You may see more OSFirewall alerts because in ZA 6.5, ZL set it to monitor more aspects of the system where potential malware can use them as vectors for their infections.

The fortunate thing now is that in ZA 6.5, you can select which aspect of the system you want ZA to monitor. To do this, go to the "Program Control" section of ZA. Select the "Main" tab. Click the "Custom" button under the "Program Control" subsection". Then select the "OSFirewall" tab and make your changes.

rvboutin Guest

Default Re: OS Firewall : message of suspicious behaviour, etc.. ZoneAlarm 6.5.714.000 version ####

Hi,

Yes agree with you, I knew I can do this, I have tried !...I can go to advance "Main" tab then "Custom" button under the "Program Control" subsection". Then select the "OSFirewall" tab... but only few options are available (4 if I'm write, such as host writing, program loading @ start, etc..), but nothing like : "allow trusted applications to modify or write a driver/start a services/write or modify regirty Key"... so my last option would be to turn off OSFirewall... then what the point of having it. It does not stop pop-upmessages detecting suspicious behavior from Windows XP writing into regitry or stuff like that which sound to me as legitimate action of the OS. Bu I might be wrong, Am I ?

Plus... in some ZoneAlarm pop-up message, there is no "remember this setting" option available, making the same alert coming again and again...

So, I'm still convince that until this OS Firewall as been improved in functionnality, I'll stick to a more user friendly version than ZA 6.5 (such as ZA 6.1.744.001).

Cheers,

Rv

Message Edited by rvboutin on 06-21-2006 02:04 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

unhappy_viewer Guest

Trust me when I say ZA's OSfirewall is actually one of the less rigourous HIPS-type (Host Intrusion Prevention System) monitoring tool than others in the market. I know the alerts look bothersome especially to people new to the idea of a HIPS monitoring tool.

Here's another suggestion to help reduce those alerts. In the ZA Program List, There is a column called the "Trust Level". You can give your trusted programs diferent levels of trust and when you do that, ZA doesn't flash certain OSFirewall alerts(programs with the most level of trust get no alerts).

Thread Information