Thread: Norton Antivirus want's to remove NAVENG? Please Help!

annica Guest

Default Norton Antivirus want's to remove NAVENG? Please Help!

Hello!I've got an alert from ZoneAlarm Pro version 6.5.722.000 that "Norton Antivirus is trying to remove a driver or service: NAVENG"What should I respond?! Yes or No???When I search the internet for NAVENG and what that might be I (with not so much computer experience) find that it might have somthing to do with Norton Antivirus it self.I've got the alert when I started a norton antivirus scan on my computer, it had just started when the alert came.Help me please!Annica

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

socalreviews Guest

Default Re: Norton Antivirus want's to remove NAVENG? Please Help!

Norton AV is always updating itself in strange ways. It is your decision for this but if it was my system I would "allow" since it looks like a real NAV update. Not allowing the NAV update could prevent it from updating its security. If you find out in the future that you do not want to allow it you can manually change the approval to not approve under the ZA program settings. The ZA firewall SmartDefense Advisor detects most programs automatically so you will not see the alert but some new programs or updates such as those made by NAV are not recognized so it will ask you. It is always a good idea anyway to post the alert question in this forum as you just did.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 06-29-2006 07:36 AM

annica Guest

I did allow it and then re-startes my computer. When it started Zone Alarm Pro gave me an alert that Adobe Acrobat Speedlaunch (or someting like that) wanted to install NAVENG - I Allowed it (was that the right thing to do?). Then I started Norton Antivirus scan again and one minut after that Zone Alarm again gave me an alert and now askt "Norton Antivirus is trying to change your network settings by modifying the file: WINDRVDIR\etc\hosts" The application was "rtvscan.exe" said Zone Alarm....

Soo now I don't know what to allow or not...

Is it Norton Antivirus that has a virus or Zone Alarm?? Or is it just normal questions from Zone Alarm???

What should I do?

annica Guest

I now wonder if its ZoneAlarm Pro and the latest uppdate 6.5.722.000 that is the problem....

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=201837

In that thread they have the same problem like me the last time with "Norton AntiVirus is trying to change your network settings by modifying the file: WINDRVDIR\etc\hosts" but that they hade other antivirur/spyware scans.

Please reply about this.

socalreviews Guest

The new ZA 6.5x series monitors and guards the HOSTS file as part of its OS Firewall features. Many other security applications use and modify the HOSTS file as a way of blocking particular malicious internet links and adware sites. I also run Webroot SpySweeper 4.5 and had a HOSTS file conflict between ZASS 6.5.722 and SpySweeper 4.5. There was a simple fix posted about this issue to fix the problem with SpySweeper. The fix probably also works to fix other HOSTS file conflicts including Norton AVs control and monitoring of the HOSTS file. The key to solving this conflict is to change the HOSTS file control settings in ZA or turn off the similar feature in the other security application.

Here a link to that thread with the SpySweeper fix:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=win_za_msgs&message.id=13041
    There is another general fix explained in this thread that may also apply to other applications that change the HOSTS file:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=cfg&message.id=39629

annica Guest

Thank you! :8}

I'm going to try and fix it with your links.

socalreviews Guest

<blockquote><hr>Annica wrote:

I did allow it and then re-startes my computer. When it started Zone Alarm Pro gave me an alert that Adobe Acrobat Speedlaunch (or someting like that) wanted to install NAVENG - I Allowed it (was that the right thing to do?). Then I started Norton Antivirus scan again and one minut after that Zone Alarm again gave me an alert and now askt &quot;Norton Antivirus is trying to change your network settings by modifying the file: WINDRVDIR\etc\hosts&quot; The application was &quot;rtvscan.exe&quot; said Zone Alarm....

Soo now I don't know what to allow or not...

Is it Norton Antivirus that has a virus or Zone Alarm?? Or is it just normal questions from Zone Alarm???

What should I do?
    <hr></blockquote>
    According to a search I did the program rtvscan.exe is part of Norton Internet Security. I hope that you do not have NIS installed on your computer since that program has a firewall. If you do you would need to uninstall or disable the firewall before ZoneAlarm firewall can install or operate properly. There is one other possibility that that rtvscan.exe file could be part of Norton Antivirus. I haven't used Norton AV in a while but it could be its Norton worm blocking firewall. If you use ZoneAlarm you need to turn OFF the worm blocking firewall feature in Norton Antivirus.

I would recommend you post ALL the security software you are running on your system so that people in this forum can evaluate your system software compatibilities. If you need to make a new post with this information you could also do that.

If you want to make your system much more efficient you might consider another set of security programs but start by still using ZoneAlarm. Norton products are known to cause system slowdown known as program bloat. But if you have a subscription to Norton and it seems to work ok then keep using it.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 06-29-2006 05:09 PM

socalreviews Guest

You are welcome! Please post back your results if possible and have a great weekend!

Thread Information