Thread: Logitech Launcher Appn trying to launch

huneee Guest

Default Logitech Launcher Appn trying to launch

Several alerts have been initiated by Logitech (my keyboard and mouse) and after much angst I have clicked, first deny, then allow temporarily, and eventually, allow always. Each "allow" seems to spawn a new alert. Three or four of them later (aside from others I'll get to eventually, but not this time), yet another has popped up to torment me: Logitech Launcher Application is trying to launch C:\PROGRAM FILES\Logitech\MOUSEWARE\system\EM_EXEC.EXE, or use another program to gain access to privileged resources
    Application: LOGI_MWX.EXE ``````````````Can someone tell me what this is about, whether or not I should be granting permission, and why or why not? Should I perhaps have withheld permission from earlier alerts?Is there any relatively simple 'rule of thumb' for making decisions with these things, always keeping in mind some logic and good sense, or do I justhave to get turned inside-out with every one of them as I've been doing up 'til now? I'm running:-- ZoneAlarm Pro version 6.5.722.000-- Windows XP Home Edition, SP2Appreciatehelp from any kind soulplease...Enjoy your week!huneee :8}

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

socalreviews Guest

Default Re: Logitech Launcher Appn trying to launch

That is your mouse software and its drivers from what you explained. You should always allow the software access in the ZA configuration settings so that it can work properly.

huneee Guest

Thank you for your information, and for such a quick response

I wonder, can you tell me also please

-- why Zone Alarm calls these alerts "suspicious" and "dangerous", when the actions are necessary for the software to work? I think I failed to say that in my first message. I find it quite a worry when those dark red alerts jump up with such threatening words (paranoia maybe --he-he).

-- why wouldn't all the permissions be requested right from the start, when instead, there were none for logitech to begin with, then after a couple or few days, a couple of alerts came up, and then, after ensuing episodes, a couple more -- but not necessarily immediately. It really doesn't make any sense to me how things worked without that permission in the first place if it's needed?

I am sooo confused! lol

Enjoy your week!

huneee :8}

socalreviews Guest

Software programs can't be programmed for every single possible situation. Security software such as ZoneAlarm only can detect strange or possibly malicious behavior. With most software you have installed the ZoneAlarm Pro program has compared it to a list of verified and approved programs. ZoneAlarm compares those programs you have installed with the list and it allows and approves them automatically which is why you haven't had hundreds of pop ups with the same alert for other programs. Your mouse program and its components must be a less frequently used and may not be on that list. The list is updated frequently to take into consideration any newly released software. In the ZoneAlarm program you can go to Overview > Preferences tab and near the bottom there is a check box that says "share my security settings anonymously with ZoneLabs". If you check that box and you have approved configuration settings for your particular mouse software then ZoneLabs will have to test and verify the mouse software as legitimate and not a threat. Then ZoneLabs might possibly add it in the future to their approved programs list and sometime in the future the next person that uses your same mouse software will not get those alerts.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 07-05-2006 02:41 PM

huneee Guest

Thank you very much for your reply, and ::especially:: for taking the time to clarify in detail the finer points regarding the greater purpose of opting to "share my security settings anonymously with ZoneLabs" -- and how it results in ultimately being of benefit to us, the users. I've opted both ways in the past, never quite sure why or why not. I feel confident about leaving the option checked now, and hope many more users who haven't been share-inclined, might change after reading your note.
    Kudos to you!
    huneee :8}

socalreviews Guest

huneee, You are very welcome! Have a great day!

Thread Information