Thread: ZA causes Windows XP Crash on startup

graemeh Guest

Default ZA causes Windows XP Crash on startup

I have just bought a brand new Dell Dimension 9150. Ive spent the last few days cleaning out all the rubbish and i am now ready to start installing my software. Zone Alarm is first on my list. I have downloaded the latest ZA file (65_722) and installed it fine, however XP crashed on reboot. I tried starting it up again and once again XP crashed instantly showing a blue screen and a message regarding a physical memory dump. I rebooted into safe mode, turned the firewall off and all was ok, when boot ZA it crashes XP again. Ive removed ZA but i want to use it as my firewall. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be. I havent done Windows update or anything because i want a firewall before i connect to the net. I transfered the install file via memory stick and the pc has only been on the net for 5 mins during the compulsory XP registration.Many thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

socalreviews Guest

Default Re: ZA causes Windows XP Crash on startup

Generally BSOD issues should be directed to official ZoneLabs support. However I can provide some information for you that could help work around your current problems. If your computer is crashing you might have had some antivirus software or firewall software that was still left on the system and this could have conflicted with your ZoneAlarm installation. Besides using the Add/remove programs method in Windows Norton's security programs require that your run special uninstall programs to completely remove all traces of them from your system. Search under the Symantec support site for removal instructions for the products that were pre-installed on your computer.

I don't know if you have done this before but you could try modifying the programs that start up by using the Windows System Configuration Utility (msconfig) after you boot in safe mode. You can prevent any programs such as ZoneAlarm's zlcient.exe program from starting up so that you can boot in normal mode.

If previous methods don't provide a solution for you I have some instructions how to remove ZA products that can be done in Windows Safe mode if you cannot boot in normal mode. This may enable you to boot back in normal mode after removing ZA so that you can remove the other security products if you need to. Please post back in the Installation section of this forum for help BEFORE you re-install ZoneAlarm. If you only uninstall ZA firewall and don't re-install it right away then make sure your Windows firewall is enabled after you remove the ZA program and before using your internet connection again. If you re-install ZA then you do not need to do this.

These are some manual instructions to remove the older ZA files from the previous version before you install the new ZA. You can use Windows safe mode for these manual instructions if you have problems booting your system or if you can not remove the indicated ZA files in normal mode .

http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...tallNonNT.html
    Next time you do an upgrade try SlyFox's instructions that are located in the Installation section of this forum. If you still have trouble after following those instructions you can make a new post in the Installation part of this forum so that someone can help you with your Installation and Upgrade related problem.

Here is the link to SlyFox's most recent un-install and re-install instructions:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=52386

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 07-07-2006 01:38 AM

Thread Information