Thread: Firefox "listening" to different port each surfing session. Is this normal?

roark Guest

Default Firefox "listening" to different port each surfing session. Is this normal?

This may well be completely normal but I have just noticed that using Zone Alarm Free, in the overview section in the top right where open programs are listed, when Firefox is open the FF icon is listed there next to two Generic Host Process icons. When I hold the mouse under the Firefox icon it says "Firefox listening to port...." The port number it is listening to changes with each surfing session. The last four were ports 1518,2129,2316,3429. Is this normal? And does everyone get these?Thanks.roark

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

socalreviews Guest

Default Re: Firefox "listening" to different port each surfing session. Is this normal?

To answer your question about Firefox listening on different ports... yes, I also have that happening. FF does many things in the background and like most browsers it is one of those programs that you have give it quite a bit of access in your ZA settings for it to work properly. What you want to be careful about is if you ever see unusual adware or pop up activity happening in your browser that is also causing alerts or strange activity in your ZA firewall. It was good that you posted the question and feel free to post any other questions you have about unusual application activity you see in the ZA program control settings.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 07-05-2006 11:20 PM

Thread Information