Thread: Hacking Attempts

nitrate Guest

Default Hacking Attempts

Hello there, im getting alerts saying that someone has accessed from their ip my ports and was blocked. The message keeps popping up every 10 seconds and in total i have around 160 blocked access attempts in the last half hour. All different ip's and different ports being accessed. Is this normal? Is there a bug with zone alarm? Or is someone trying to get inside my computer this often?Any help/guidance would be appreciated,Regards,

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

unhappy_viewer Guest

Default Re: Hacking Attempts

Its pretty normal. Most of this is what is known as Internet Background Noise which consists of Internet Worms, "ISP heartbeat" etc.

socalreviews Guest

Default Re: Hacking Attempts

As unhappy_viewer says this is normal random internet activity aimed at your IP address. ZoneAlarm is blocking that activity and letting you know that it is happening. As long as you are using a good firewall like ZoneAlarm it is basically harmless. If you are using DSL or Cable and want to eliminate those alerts and add another layer of protection for when you ever turn your software firewall off for any reason then it is recommended that you also use a NAT based router such as the Linksys WRT54GL (with Linux based firmware), Netgear, D-Link or other brands with internet (WAN) filtering. You use the NAT router after your modem and plug your computer's ethernet cable into the NAT router. That way that internet activity you see in the alerts instead hits and is blocked by the NAT router while ZoneAlarm firewall provides a second layer of defense and guards against unauthorized programs from sending information back out to the internet without your approval.

Thread Information