Thread: Alerts identify wrong program or IP address

lb_centaur Guest

Default Alerts identify wrong program or IP address

Upgraded my computer this week and having Zone Alarm problems. I'm a long-time fan of Zone Alarm and have been using it since the early days.

Zone Alarm alerts are identifying the wrong program or IP address for TCP/IP connections.

After rebooting, I tried using putty (SSH) to connect to several hosts this morning.

For each putty session, Zone Alarm asked for permission to connect to the IP address of the previously opened putty session. Recent ZA problems with alerts: each program asks for permission to establish a TCP connection to the IP address of the last application, not the current application.

Another problem: with Lotus Notes minimized and no messages open, I get frequent alerts that Notes wants to connect to some site in Europe. It looks like that site may be related to the RSS feed of my Firefox "Latest Headlines" toolbar bookmark that is automatically installed. This is a case of Zone Alarm identifying the connection as Notes rather than Firefox. While creating this message, received an alert the IBM Lotus Notes/Domino is trying to access the Internet
    72.14.203.99 which is a Google address (is that the RSS Latest Headlines feed?).

Additional system info:
    Intel dual-core CPU -- Is Zone Alarm certified for dual-core systems?
    Running NAV Corporate Edition (never been a problem before)

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Alerts identify wrong program or IP address

I don't know of a setting you can change to fix the behavior you described. What I would try is to do a 'clean' uninstall of Zone Alarm then install a fresh copy. Here's how you do that. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

lb_centaur Guest

Followed your uninstall clean procedure, reinstalled Zone Alarm, and still getting the incorrect alerts.

Each Alert identifies the IP address of the previous application or connection.

billc Guest

Sorry but I'm not sure what steps you need to take to fix this behavior. Please contact Zone Labs Technical Support and see what they say. It is a weekend, so you probably will not get a response before Monday.

Thread Information