Thread: Re-Allowing Programs Internet Access

katkatkat Guest

Default Re-Allowing Programs Internet Access

Hello! I have used ZoneAlarm for years, but a few weeks ago, I had to format the computer. I reinstalled ZoneAlarm immediately. Now, 2 weeks later, I am suddenly being told that each program is trying to access the internet and it's their first time asking. As I said, I did this 2 weeks ago. We did have a power failure (blackout) yesterday while the computer was switched on, but don't know if that would have anything to do with it. I am very up-to-date with spyware and anti-virus programs - I update them every day, and run them every night.I was thinking of just re-installing ZoneAlarm, but to be without it's protection while it's downloading 13 MB is a worry (I am on dial-up). Should I do that though, or not worry about the re-questioning about allowing programs? I don't have Show Every Pop-Up checked.Thankyou for any help.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Re-Allowing Programs Internet Access

Hi,
    Try resetting your database. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4. Reboot into the normal mode.

PLEASE keep me posted on your results, Thanks.
    SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. katkatkat Guest

Thankyou for replying, SlyFox. The thought of going into Safe Mode scares me!! I have tried before and everything goes wrong Do you have any idea what might have gone wrong regarding the notifications, and do you think I should re-install ZoneAlarm or just leave it as it is? If I re-install it, do I really have to uninstall it first, or could ZA stay on my computer until the new download is almost finished or finished, or would there be a conflict? I'm really sorry, but what you suggested would be too scary for me - thankyou very much anyway!!!

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi katkatkat, It's your decision if you want to complete a database reset, it sure is easier than reinstalling Zone Alarm. You can always set a System Restore point, if you feel uneasy about it and if anything goes wrong, go back to the prior settings if necessary. PLEASE keep me posted on whatever you decide to do, THANKS. SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

Thread Information