Thread: Windows Security Alert - Firewall reports that is is currently turned off

nefandus Guest

Default Windows Security Alert - Firewall reports that is is currently turned off

I have just started using Zone Alarm Security Suite. After completing the evaluation period, I bought a two year licence on one system, and was planning on doing the same for my other 3 systems as soon as their Norton Internet Security licenses expire.

Everything seemed to be working well up until the day I registered the security suite. Since then, I have been receiving a Windows Security Alert saying, "ZoneAlarm Security Suite Firewall reports that is is currently turned off." When I view the ZASS Control Center, everything appears to be operational, including the Firewall.

This is really annoying me. I know that I can configure the Windows Security Center to stop reporting on this error by telling it I will manually monitor my firewall, but I shouldn't need to do this. It clearly can see that I'm running the ZoneAlarm firewall, but incorrectly believes that it is turned off/disabled.

Is there any test I can perform to verify that the ZASS Firewall is indeed enabled? I haven't found any text that explicitly says it is in the ZASS Control Center, although the "All Systems Active" line on the STATUS tab of the OVERVIEW page leads me to believe it is.

Here is a screenshot of the two panels:

http://www.fatfrog-studios.com/exports/zonealarm.png

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

prminc Guest

Default Re: Windows Security Alert - Firewall reports that is is currently turned off

I have just upgraded from ZAPro to ZASS.
    I am still using NAV 2007 for virus protection.
    I am having the same problem that is described in this post.
    ZASS is functioning perfectly, but the "Norton Protection Center" is reporting
    "Zone Alarm Security Suite firewall.
    Firewall protection is turned off. To protect your computer from unauthorized access, turn this setting on."
    I find no settings in either product that would apply to addressing this message.

I see this post was from over a year ago, but I can't find that there was any resolution.
    Can anyone help me?

PamelaWindows XP ProIE 6ZASS 7.0.362.000NAV 2007 14.4.0.12

prminc Guest

Default Re: Windows Security Alert - Firewall reports that is is currently turned off

never mind (think Gilda Radner)
    I followed the suggestions for resolving the same problem (below), except it was occurring with the Windows Firewall, not being reported by NAV.
    Everything is now reporting "in the green".
    <ul>[*]Uncheck &quot;Load ZoneAlarm Security Suite at startup&quot; under Overview | Preferences[*]Restart Windows[*]Turned on the Windows firewall in the Windows Security Center (Control Panel | Security Center)[*]Checked &quot;Load ZoneAlarm Security Suite at startup&quot; again[*]Restarted Windows again[*]On the second restart Windows Security Center (or in my case NAV 2007) reported that the &quot;ZoneAlarm Security Suite Firewall&quot; is currently on.
    [/list]

Pamela

Thread Information