Thread: Not showing if intrusions are blocked

maz Guest

Default Not showing if intrusions are blocked

I have the free zone alarm. I have updated from dial up to satellite broadband. On the overview page it says the system is active but there are no blocked intrustions showing. I also have not had any alerts (which I always got until I turned show alerts off. ) I have followed instructions to remove .RDB, LDB, files from the internet logs directory in windows. (Which I found on the zone labs customer care pages)I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the program. I am worried that my firewall is not working and that I am vulnerable being on the internet.I would be very grateful if someone could help me please. Thank you

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

unhappy_viewer Guest

Default Re: Not showing if intrusions are blocked

Many new users to broadband such as yourself start to get worried when they aren't seeing any intrusions the moment they upgrade to Broadband. The reason why this is so is because most people connect to the internet by using a router or modem with NAT. These devices act as a hardware firewall and helps block most/all unwanted incoming intrusions. That is why ZA is not reporting any intrusions since they have already been blocked by the router.

In a dial-up connnections, most of them don't use routers and hence there is nothing to block incoming intrusions except for ZA.

So don't worry if you are not seeing incoming intrusions on a broadband connection when behind a router or modem with NAT. In fact its good news since you are very well protected with a hardware firewall in your router and a software firewall (ZA).

maz Guest

Thank you for your answer unhappy_viewer.

You really think I am protected and that I haven't done something wrong or that something could have become corrupted? I just want to be sure.

Nervous newcomer,

Maz

ai_tak Guest

Satellite "broadband" is notorious for usingtransparent proxies and usually force nat (aka they give you a private IP address), as well as a large amount of caching to make their typically sub-standard network appear more responsive. In this situation you willalmost never seeinbound alerts. An interesting thing to test with satellite: start downloading 2-3 largefiles (large so they don't finish right away)each from different sites and try to browse the internet, chances are you won't be able to at allbecause the proxy is tied up with the other files.

Thread Information