Thread: Zone Alarm Security Alert

stevenllc Guest

Default Zone Alarm Security Alert

I get the folowing SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR messageNorton AntiVirus Scanner Module is trying to change your network settings by modifying the file:WINDRVDIR\etc\hosts Application: NAVW32.exe. Norton AntiVirus must scan for viruses and is not a threat but a Zone Alarm Security Alert warning does not include a check box to remember accepting this perceived threat. This stops Norton AntiVirus scanning until the warning is manually accepted. This is a recurring problem. Is this a known problem? Is there a solution?

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

muffincharizard Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Security Alert

Go to the program control tab, click the programs tab and adjust the trust level for the Norton program. You'll probably want to set it to "super". You can also modify OSFirewall settings in program control tab > main tab > custom button in program control > osfirewall tab.

stevenllc Guest

MuffinCharizard. I tried your recommendations but I still have the same problem. My browser is Firefox. What did I miss. This is what I did. I opened Zone Alarm Pro. On the left I selected Program ControlProgram Tab. Found Norton AntiVirus Scanner Module. SmartDefense = Custom, Trust Level = Super, Access Trusted and Internet = Allowed, Server Trusted and Internet = Allowed Send Mail = Block. Options:Advanced Program Control This program may use other programs to access the internet and Allow Application Internet both checked. Filter Options Enable Privacy for this program not checked Authentication Authenticate components checked Authenticate program by full path name only not checked. Passlock Enable Passlock not checked. Select Components folder. Found Norton AntiVirus Scanner Module (SCANMGR.DLL) Access checked. Select Main Folder, Selected Program Control = Medium, Custom Program Control tab Advanced Program Enable Advance Program Control and Enable Application Interaction Control both not checked. Component Control Enable component control checked. OSFirewall tab. Enable OSFirewall checked, OSFirewall Special Systems Proctection Change Intenet Explorer home page Ask, Change Internet Explorer search page Allow, Install ActiveX Use Program Settings, Change which program loads at startup Use Program Settings, Change the host file = Allow. SmartDefense Adviser = Auto, Automatic Lock = Offstevenllc

socalreviews Guest

Irealize that Guru MuffinCharizard already posted the solutions to help fix your ZA alerts that occured with Norton AV (NAV). However, I do have some more detailed information for you to read about the recommended HOSTS file fix that stops those alerts and allows NAV to scan your computer. Maybe this extra informationwith theseinstructions can help you to understand what is happening.The new ZA 6.5x series monitors and guards the HOSTS file as part of its OS Firewall features. Many other security applications use and modify the HOSTS file as a way of blocking particular malicious internet links and adware sites. I also run Webroot SpySweeper 4.5 and had a HOSTS file conflict between ZASS 6.5.722 and SpySweeper 4.5. There was a simple fix posted about this issue to fix the problem with SpySweeper. The fix probably also works to fix other HOSTS file conflicts including Norton AVs control and monitoring of the HOSTS file. The key to solving this conflict is to change the HOSTS file control settings in ZA or turn off the similar feature in the other security application.

Here a link to that thread with the SpySweeper fix that may also work for other programs:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=13041
    There is another general fix explained in this thread that may also apply to other applications (such as NAV) that change or monitorthe HOSTS file:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=39629

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 08-22-2006 01:12 AM

Thread Information