Thread: 3rd party software conflict and email scanning

ladylacina Guest

Default 3rd party software conflict and email scanning

I have read several other posts like this but none of them seemed to be the one I am having.

E-mail scanning or IM Security is unavailable
    If you are attempting to enable the e-mail scanning option of Zone Labs anti-virus software or the IM Security feature and are unable to do so, you may have a product installed that uses Layered Service Provider (LSP) technology that is incompatible with ZoneAlarm Security Suite. To remedy this situation, you will need to uninstall the conflicting product(s).

Conflict
    {BEAA9090-2D12-11D4-9B80-00C04FF40D52}{BEAA9090-2D12-11D4-9B80-00C04FF40D52} (McAfee.com Layered Provider)

Problem
    Mcafee has been uninstalled on the computer for over 2 years. I did clean up the registry but it must be looking for something other than the key it lists as this key in not in there.

I have tried everything including sending the LSPConflict file to the LSPsupport people and didn't get anything back (been 6 weeks).

Anyone with direction would be appreciated!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

ai_tak Guest

Default Re: 3rd party software conflict and email scanning

If zonealarm had any concept of how to add a link to the LSP chain when there are other links already added there would be no conflict. Assuming that the first link in the chain will be windows as well as the last is the main mistake most programs make when dealing with LSPs.
    The wrong way to add an link to the LSP chain:Add your link, hook it to the top link, then hook it to the link that would be below it if there were no other links
    The right way to add an link to the lsp chain:Add your link, hook it to the top link, then hook it to the link that is below it
    Even worse way to do ito it the wrong way, then complain when you notice other LSP chain links (this is what ZA has just done).
    The preceding was me being annoyed about how programs mishandle the LSP chain (reposted from before).

Also, why are you tring to install ZASS (with anti-virus and firewall) when you already have mcafee installed?

miaminice Guest

Default Re: 3rd party software conflict and email scanning

What's worse, they say you should remove the conflicting software, rather than work the program to address its shortcomings. Do you have any idea how to circumvent these error messages? Zonelabs knowledge base seems deficient in this area. I would appreciate your response. Thanks.

Brian

Thread Information