Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dialog keeps coming up, even though I always allow it

ulillillia Guest

Default Dialog keeps coming up, even though I always allow it

I've been using the free version of Zonealarm for a few years and recently upgraded to Zonealarm Pro. I have Norton Internet Security 2006 installed and one particular component of it, Symantec Event Manager Service, tried to connect for something and Zonealarm keeps popping up the an alert of the program trying to access the internet. I click the "remember this setting" checkbox to put a check in there then click "allow". About 8 or so hours later (or once a day), the dialog comes up again and I repeat the "remember this setting" and "allow" thing. Then, a while later, it comes up again. How do you get it so that this dialog stops coming up every time? I can clearly see the green checkmarks for the "access" column for both the trusted and internet zones, but blue question marks for the server column and a red X for the "send mail" column. Yet, the dialog still comes up. If it was for the server mode, of which I don't use a server, each time (and it's been like 8 by now) the dialog comes up, and I always allow it access from the dialog, it still comes up several hours later. I just had a recent case of this about ten minutes ago.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

flyyourway Guest

Default Re: Dialog keeps coming up, even though I always allow it

This usually happens when the ZoneAlarm database has become corrupted to a specific program,or just a general corruption has occurred.Simply search the forum with its search tool for Resetting database ,and try it and see if it rectifies the problem.Just be aware doing so will wipe out all current settings and the entire firewall will need to be re-configured.

ulillillia Guest

I've also reinstalled Windows XP Pro itself as well and it was happening before this and it's happening after it. I forgot to mention this. The reason for this was installing my new hard drive.

jarvis Guest

In the Programs list, what does it say in the SmartDefense column for Symantec event manager? If it says Auto, change it to Manual.

In version 6.5 and above, SmartDefense retains control of your program settings, even if you answer Allow/Deny and Remember to a program alert. Only if you manually change the settings in the Programs list do you really get control.

Another possibility would be that the program is changing each time Symantec updates itself - unlikely for a service, but possible. If that is the case, you will be getting a "Changed Program" alert (as opposed to a Repeat program alert). In that case, right-click the program and choose "Changes Frequently". THis will disable checking of the file's checksum.

ulillillia Guest

There is no "Manual" setting for that particular item. There's just "custom" and "auto", of which, by default, is set to "custom". I just got yet another one from that same program. It's the "repeat program" dialog that comes up, the one with the dark cyan borders (color of about 008080). To explain further, this is that dialog (from an earlier screenshot about 3 weeks ago):

http://www.ulillillia.us/temporary/z...appearing1.png

And this is what I see in the program control:

http://www.ulillillia.us/temporary/z...appearing2.png

jarvis Guest

Right, I meant "Custom"!

It does appear that there is a corruption problem in your ZA database. Yes, I realise that is offered around here as a catch-all reason for all problems, but in this case it appears to be correct.

You could first try right-clicking on the entry for Symantec Event Manager and then re-booting and let it prompt you once more for access. Sometimes that fixes the corruption around one particular program.

If that doesn't work search the forum for one of SlyFox's instructions for resetting the database; they're everywhere!

ulillillia Guest

Since the last reply, since it takes a while for this to happen, resetting the database didn't work at all as this same program is still causing this. I booted into safe mode and deleted those two RDB files as stated. Upon doing so, I started getting more dialogs (of which I expected) including the suspect program, of which I expected at this time. As time went on, I got another two of these dialogs coming up, again, the "repeat attempt" case. Earlier, I was getting this when using my old hard drive. Since I replaced the hard drive (as it was making strange high-pitched noises) and reinstalling everything from scratch, I was getting this again so I began using these forums to get an answer. I deleted those two files as stated and after more time, it continues happening. No other program is having this (in all three instances even), just this same one each and every time. I took more screenshots to assist:

http://www.ulillillia.us/temporary/p...dsetting02.png - upon resetting the database, the program at fault asks for internet access. I expected this to happen and I click the "remember this setting" check box and click "allow". The dialog goes away as expected.

http://www.ulillillia.us/temporary/p...dsetting03.png - a spanning since I last replied here, I've had the same dialog coming up twice now, as shown in the screenshot. On the first instance, I forgot to get a screenshot, but this is now the second instance, shown at the exact moment it comes up. Earlier, I did the same thing: check the "remember this setting" checkbox and click "allow". Despite that, it's still coming up.

What's going on with this particular program and despite reinstalling Windows and deleting those two files, this same program keeps asking for internet access. No other program is having it. There must be something wrong with Zonealarm and this particular program.

flyyourway Guest

Report the issue to tech support,let them take a look and see what causes this.

ulillillia Guest

I am contacting tech support, as far as I know. There doesn't seem to be an E-mail support option anywhere on the main website for Zonealarm and I'm not using phone support because they charge for it (which is the main reason why I went here to post this - it was my only other option left). Zonealarm Pro is also causing other issues with my computer as well, all starting the exact moment I installed it. Rather than about one minute for a full boot up, it's now taking three times longer. Worse yet, sometimes, when I first start up my computer, it refuses to connect to any website, as if I had no network connection at all, again, starting the exact moment when I bought and installed Zonealarm Pro. The only way to fix this is to restart my computer, from which it often does connect. It occurs randomly. All this never happened when I had the free version of Zonealarm. The program at fault never did this until I got Zonealarm Pro. As a test, I may just uninstall Zonealarm Pro completely (first uninstalling it from add/remove programs then erasing the entire directory Zonealarm has been installed to (a full delete, not just sending it to the recycle bin - hold shift while choosing "delete")) and just reinstall the free version and see what happens in terms of my issues I've been having. Is there another method for a complete clean install of Zonealarm?

jarvis Guest

To get the link for tech support you have to indulge the "virtual support agent" (Instant tech support). Ask it a question, keep saying "No, that answer didn't help" and eventually it will invite you to Email Technical Support.

To save you the trouble, click the above link!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information