Thread: vsdatant.sys CRASH: Can't seem to fix it!!

benjamonous Guest

Default vsdatant.sys CRASH: Can't seem to fix it!!

So, I've been using Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 2005 for some time, without any problems. Then I recently got a new notebook computer, and I installed my copy of Zone Alarm ISS 2005 on it. Then I start getting crashes with the BSOD. I come to find out that vsdatant.sys is to blame. I couldn't fully uninstall Zone Alarm, with all the troublsome files, so I decided to do a FULL FORMAT AND REINSTALL of Windows XP SP2.

This time around, I don't install my old copy, but rather I download the latest version of Zone Alarm 6.5 from their website. Everything seems fine, and then the crashes start again. Same thing, vsdatant.sys is the problem. And now it's crashing even more often. Today, I was just surfing the web, casually reading an article online, when it crashed, giving me the BSOD again.

I don't know what to do at this point. I'm totally frustrated. I've been a long-time loyal customer of Zone Alarm, but if I'm going to continue having endless crashes, I may need to find an alternative security suite.

Please help me figure this out. I want to stay with ZoneAlarm!!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

socalreviews Guest

Default Re: vsdatant.sys CRASH: Can't seem to fix it!!

Most notebooks come with pre-installed security products such as McAfee, Norton, PC-Cillin, etc. that have antivirus software and/or firewalls that conflict with ZoneAlarm Products and especially with ZASS (ZoneAlarm Security Suite). Make sure all those potentially conflicting software is completely uninstalled before you install ZASS. You should do this before installing ZASS but you could try to uninstall those products if you still have them on your system and already have installed ZASS to see if your system behavior improves. Antispyware products can usually get alone ok with ZA products but some configuration and settings changes may be required.

There are some specific instructions about posting information that can help contributors find an answer for BSODs. For more information read the thread below and follow the instructions to make a NEW POST under the INSTALLATION section of this forum.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=32612
    Important Note: It was a problem when ZASS 6.5.722 was first released and I am not sure if it still is but be aware that when you install or re-install ZASS 6.5.722 it is recommended that you immediately manually update the antivirus and antispyware components of the program. Here is more information in the link below.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=51002

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 08-26-2006 12:29 AM

benjamonous Guest

Thanks for the info.

As far as the bundled software goes that you're talking about, I did a complete format and reinstall of Windows XP, just the OS, not any bloatware that normally comes with notebooks. There should be nothing conflicting with it.

I just don't get it, ZASS has worked flawlessly on my past computers, but suddenly on this new notebook it's crashing a couple times a day. Talk about frustrating!

I just hope they figure out this "vsdatant.sys" crash problem in the next release of Zone Alarm.

One last thing, could it have anything to do with the video drivers? I know it's a long shot, but I'm just curious if there's any relation.

socalreviews Guest

Benjamonous, you are welcome for the help but I wish that I had an easy answer for you to solve your crash issues. There seems to be something different about your software or hardware configuration that is creating a conflict. You need to make sure that your system is updated with ALL the latest Windows updates including SP2 and the latest Microsoft Root Certificates. To understand what is new in the ZASS 6.5x versions the most important changes that were made to ZASS in the 6.5x series are a more sensitive OS Firewall to protect your Windows system and a major update to the antivirus and antispyware modules. I am using ZASS 6.5.722 on my old Pentium III 1Ghz notebook running XP Home and I have to tell you that it really flies. This is the same notebook that would not run Norton AV 2003 without crashing and locking up and it ran like molasses with McAfee VirusScan 9 & 10 with the SP2 firewall enabled. I put ZASS 6.5x on it along with Spy Sweeper 4.5x and it is running like a new fast and furious machine.

I can only imagine that there has to be some kind conflict if you are installing on a brand new XP installation. You might want to try adjusting the OS firwall, the AV and AS components. Turn off components such as parental controls, IMSecurity, etc. and see if you can narrow down what part of the ZASS program is causing the problem. I have found that if you turn off the newer features and make settings adjustments you can mostly make the new ZASS act not too different than the previous version of ZASS. Finally, don't quote me on this because I don't have any specific information but a newer release for ZA 6.5x series products is expected anytime in the next month or two. If you can find a work around for your current version by turning off the problematic components then it might be worth waiting for the next release to see if the problem is solved.

I usually can solve problems like this if I am right there in front of the machine but it is much more difficult just reading information typed in a post. I think that most contributors also find this to be true which is why you need to provide as much detailed information about your system, your software, and any errors that you are having. You can go under the Control Panel, catagory view, performance and maintenance, administrative tools, event viewer. Take a close look and scroll down the list under "system" and under "application" and see what errors or warnings you are getting and what programs or processes are causing them. You might be able to find out other software on your machine that is conflicting with ZASS or its components by using those event viewer logs. If you want to post any information about that here then contributors might be able to narrow down the problem and provide a work around solution. This is the kind of thing a technician would do to quickly diagnose the problem. If you have already done this yourself then obviously this is not new information and you are past that stage.

The easiest thing to do might be to re-install the previous ZASS version or see if you can wait for the next version of ZASS which should be out anytime in the near future. Post back if you have any new information or results. If you have not already done so you might also want to post in the Installation section of this forum with a newer post and see if any other contributors have any different ideas for you to try. If I think of another possible solution for you to try I will also post it here for you to read. In the meantime I wish you the best with the rest of your computing.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 08-27-2006 03:08 AM

Thread Information