Thread: SVCHost Error message

miguelm Guest

Default SVCHost Error message

Hi there,

After installing Zone Alarm I'm getting an error message saying that SVCHost "Generic Processes for Win32" generated errors and has to be closed. This always happens when I connect to the internet through my ADSL modem. I can only manage to stay connected 2/3 minutes and then I got the error message and have to reboot.
    I uninstalled ZA and apparently the error messages disappeared.
    What is happening?

Regards,
    Miguel

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: SVCHost Error message

Hi MiguelDo a clean install of ZA and that try the following settings:1 In programs list locate Generic Host Process for Windows (svchost.exe) and give it full access in both trusted and internet.Give it also server rights but only in trusted zone,deny server rights in internet zones (three green ticks and a red cross under server internet).2 Ad the ip's of DHCP and DNS servers to the trusted zone of ZA. Follow this link how to do that:<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=23056#M23056 <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Best regards

miguelm Guest

Thanks Ad-Hoc, it worked!
    I have a new question but as it is related with my network speed I will post in another thread.

Regards,
    Miguel

ad_hock Guest

You're welcome MiguelGlad it worked.Best regards

neverwinterx Guest

I have a question related to the same process.
    Exactly every 5 minutes i get the following message in my program logs:
    svchost.exe (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services) was blocked from accepting a connection from the Internet (192.168.2.193:Port xxx)
    The internet is working fine, i added my dhcp/dns already to the trusted zone earlier but i was wondering if this is normal program behaviour?
    Program settings for svchost.exe are everything allowed except server internet which is blocked.

Windows XP SP2
    ZoneAlarm Free 6.5.731.00

ad_hock Guest

It happens often, so don't be worried as long as there are no connection problems. You may try but I'm not sure if this will solve that entry in the logs. Do this; in tab firewall main, in internet zone security click custom and then in the new window check 'allow outgoing DHCP/DNS'.Best regards

Thread Information