Thread: Newbie Question about corrupted registry...Help !

bama Guest

Default Newbie Question about corrupted registry...Help !

I am constantly getting alerts for programs that I have previously approved. I have searched FAQ and found information about " corrupted registry " and instructions on how to fix.Here is my problem... I am basically a computer ***** and need more detailed instructions.One set of instructions said to " uncheck " Load Zone Alarm on start up " and then reboot into Safe Mode. The instructions from the virtual technician did not give this step... Which is correct "Once I reboot and type in the c:\windows\internet logs " I pull up over 100 files labeled ZA. This is where I need HELP ! How do I identify which ones of these contains the extensions .RDB, LDB, or TMP ?? I have tried opening some of these files and all I see are just a string of #s... Where would I find these extensions ? Do I have to open up each of these ZA files to look for the letters. Would the letters be behind the string of #S ?Once again I am a novice in Safe Mode and need some help.If I do find these files do I just right click on them and delete ?Thanks for any help !!One final question... If this does not work would I have to reinstall the program ? If so where do I find my paid subscription for the download ?

billc Guest

Default Re: Newbie Question about corrupted registry...Help !

I'm not sure why you're finding so many files. Try booting into the Safe Made again then open your 'Search' function in Windows, type in Internet Logs and let it find the folder for you. Then open the folder, right click on the files with the .RDB and .LDB extensions, then click to delete them. Zone Alarm will recreate them for you. You can't really do any harm.

About your fresh install question and license information. If you uninstall Zone Alarm and install a fresh copy, it will know it is a licensed copy and grant you the days still remaining on your license. You can also find your license key information at your Zone Labs Account .

If you wish to uninstall then load a fresh firewall, follow these uninstall steps. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

bama Guest

Thank you for your reply... I did use the search function and once again pulled up well over 100 icons labeled ZA but there were a few at the beginning which did have some extensions.One was labelld Backup RDB... Should that be deleted ?I could not find any which had LDB or TMP. Does that mean I don't have to search any further for them ?Thanks for your continued support.

billc Guest

The files that should be deleted are backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb. But the name of the folder should be Internet Logs with Zone Alarm. What you see when you search should look like this:

Then you open the folder and delete the two files. Both backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb should be in that folder.

bama Guest

Thank you Bill... I was able to do that and now I will see if this fixes the problem.. I will let you know.

Actually an RDB file is really a Microsoft Access MDB database file and the LDB file is simply the file lock.One known problem with Microsoft Access database files are they corrupt really easily, and that's why the ZA *.rdb files go bad sometimes.I work with Microsoft Access database files every day and an improper shutdown of a PC can destroy it.

billc Guest

Jeruselem's comment about an improper shutdown (crash or power outage for example) is the #1 reason those files get corrupt in the Internet Logs file.

bama Guest

Thanks Bill !Your suggestions have fixed by problems and ZA is now running as intended. Appreciate your help..

Thread Information