Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "MSWin.exe is trying to access the internet"> No product can protect you from everyth

cqkris Guest

Default "MSWin.exe is trying to access the internet"> No product can protect you from everyth

"MSWin.exe is trying to access the internet" appears everytime at startup. It has just started to appear for about the last three start ups.So far I have denied permission.Anyone any ideas what could be causing it and how I can stop it from doing this?ThanksChris QuigleyScotland

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: "MSWin.exe is trying to access the internet" appears everytime at startup

mswin.exe is not a Windows file. You might have a Trojan horse installed on your PC.You have the trojan Troj/Banker-CU (the Sophosname)in your PC which steals passwords. Good thing you blocked it!

Message Edited by Jeruselem on 09-20-2006 09:27 PM

cqkris Guest

Default Re: "MSWin.exe is trying to access the internet" appears everytime at startup

Anyone know how I can get rid of this? Would I just run a normal virus check?Will zone alarm fix this problem

It's a Trojan horse so an anti-virus will not pick it up. It looks like your ZA anti-spyware didn't pick it up either. There's plenty of free anti-spyware products around. Try Ewido Anti-Spyware at www.ewido.com.

joao_pt Guest

You can run a Panda Active Scan and hopefully it will remove it (but not spyware/ad-ware/malware that you may have installed). Just head down to www.pandasoftware.com and look for the link saying "Scan your PC for free"... Hope it helped and removed that Trojan

Another suggestion: supewrantispyware (free version) is very effective at removing malwarehttp://www.superantispyware.com/

edi Guest

This link might also help:
    http://www.norman.com/Virus/Virus_removal_tools/en-us

The NGenFix tool is surprisingly powerful against quite a malware variants. You don't even need to install. Just download it, boot to safe mode and run the executable. It'll whine about some things not being working as they should in safe mode, but that warning can and should be ignored, seeing as the company's own instructions say to use it in safe mode.

Edi

cqkris Guest

i went onto pandsoftware.com and did a panda active scan....it seems to have solved the problem...now at startup the mswin.exe doesn't request internet connection. when i tried to find mswin.exe by using the windows search function it could not find any mswin.exe file....so i presume it has been deleted/disinfected.thanks for your help everyone...one other thing that concerned me when i did the panda active scan...was that if found1 dialer but could not disinfect or get rid of this. anyone know how to get rid of this. I tried to look in add/remove programs for any programs that weren't there before or looked odd however i never found anything.should zone alarm pick up programs like this?

edi Guest

Not really, unless you have the version with built in anti-virus tools. You need to use things like Spybot Search & Destroy, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Ewido Anti-Malware, Webroot Spysweeper or any of dozens of other anti-malware programs out there. Personally I'd recommend Ad-Aware, Spybot and Ewido. They should be able to catch anything that may or may not be left on your machine.

For other online scanners, Trend Micro has a pretty effective one and so does BitDefender. I have no idea what kind of protection most people have on their machines, but I use ZoneAlarm for a firewall and a combo of AntiVir, SpywareBlaster and Spybot to keep unwanted visitors out. I've got Ad-Aware SE Personal edition for backup in case something gets through, but only the commercial versions have active protection (i.e. real time scanning).

Edi

These days we need a arsenal of firewalls, anti-virus, anti-mal/spyware, etc to keep our computers free from unwanted pests. No product can protect you from everything, and each product is good and bad at particular things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information