Thread: ZoneAlarm constaly losing program control settings

edi Guest

Default ZoneAlarm constaly losing program control settings

Hello all. I did read the FAQ about repeated program alerts, but didn't find it very helpful. All it says is that I'd have to reconfigure Smart Defense Advisor, but I couldn't find any option to do that any subsection or tab in the configuration panel. I'd really like to know where I can change that setting to Custom as described.

The problem is that every single time I start up the computer, I get the changed program alert for Mozilla Thunderbird, the Internet access alert for Firefox and changed program alert for AntiVir even if they have not been changed at all and it's starting to seriously **bleep** me off.

I didn't have this problem at all on my old machine, but it has cropped up on my new one. I'm running the free version of ZoneAlarm 6.5.737.000 and I suspect it's something to do with that. Or perhaps with having Program Control permissions set to medium (the highest allowed). I suppose I could siwtch that to learning mode, but I positively loathe giving automatic permissions to any and all programs.

It also annoys me greatly that Zonealarm does not seemingly remember any setting changes I do on it at all. It used to be that when I opened up the application, it opened to the subsection and tab I last used with all the old settings. Not happening anymore, and I'm not impressed. Can't wait for the next update so I can hopefully get the program working as it should.

I do run a slew of free antimalware software (AntiVir, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster), but I don't think any of those are responsible since they never did give me any trouble in the past.

Any help fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Edi

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm constaly losing program control settings

It sounds to me like your Program Control database in Zone Alarm has gotten corrupt and needs to be rest. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

edi Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm constaly losing program control settings

Yup, that fixed it. This is good to know for future reference. Thank you very much, Bill, I really appreciate it. I owe you one.

Edi

Thread Information