Thread: Incomplete Alert Dialogues?

snackboxacid Guest

Default Incomplete Alert Dialogues?

Hello,

I recently started getting incomplete dialogues from ZoneAlarm. Here is a screenshot of a typical alarm:

http://tinyurl.com/px4e4

As you can see, I have no access to "yes" or "no" buttons, and I have to tab through the dialogue to locate them, they are never drawn.

I am in the "Try & Buy" now, and while I so far am quite impressed with this product, this sort of annoyance is a definate show-stopper.

Any ideas? TIA!!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Incomplete Alert Dialogues?

From your screenshot it appears to be cut off. When you get an alert, have you tried grabbing the top with your mouse pointer and dragging it up? If that doesn't work then it appears your installation is likely corrupt. Uninstall Zone Alarm this way then install a fresh copy. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

snackboxacid Guest

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate your input.
    Yes, it does look
    like the dialogue is simply being cut off or not drawn.

The missing piece would have been cut ff by my Windows taskbar.

The image I showed
    was the "dragged up" dialogue box.
    I should have mentioned that this only recently started happening...initially all worked as expected.

Is there a way I can save or export
    my rules/settings in preparation of the re-insall?

Or do you think it is best that I start completely from scratch?
    Thanks very much!
    sba

billc Guest

Yes, you can save your settings in Zone Alarm Pro. Go to the Overview > Preferences panel and there you will find the 'Backup and Restore Settings' option. Just backup your settings, save the file to My Documents, uninstall Zone Alarm Pro using the 'clean' uninstall instructions below, then install a fresh Zone Alarm Pro and use the 'Restore' function to import your settings.

<fieldset>
    <legend>Clean Uninstall</legend>Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.</fieldset>

Thread Information