Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Routed traffic? But it's directed to my IP address!?

glandgrand Guest

Default Routed traffic? But it's directed to my IP address!?

Hello gurus,

I'm trying to understand something.

Why would ZoneAlarm mark traffic as "routed" when it is actually directe to my IP address?

This doesn't happen often. But, from time to time, I get a burst of blocked packets due to "Routed". If we check the "destination ip" column, we find my IP address there!

So,

If the packet is actually for me, why mark it routed?

If the packet is not for me, why is not the final IP address shown in the "destination IP" field?

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers,
    GG

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

glandgrand Guest

Default Re: Routed traffic? But it's directed to my IP address!?

Hello, it is me again.

I am really interested in having this question aswered.
    Since nobody did, can I have at least a clue of what is wrong with my question?

Because I did search for an answer in the forums and I didn't find this _exact_ question. Note that I'm very specific on purpose.

Cheers,
    GG

Hi

Is the LoopBack address (127.0.0.1) in the Zones of the ZA entered and set as Trusted? Plus are the DNS servers included and the DHCP or gateway addedd as well.

OLdsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

joao_pt Guest

i have a similar issue, when I connect the Internet in my NB I always get a routed blocked, which is from my computer to my ISP. It seems in my case that the ZA is slow to recognize my IP, because only a few seconds latter it shows info on the source and destination DNS. This doesn't brings problems to me, so I just ignore it... Maybe it's the same on you? Just check it, I'm no expert so all I can say to you is this...

glandgrand Guest

Here is the list of my Trusted zones. I've added these manually:

NAME...............IP ADDRESS................ENTRY TYPE
    Primary DNS........x.x.x.x...................IP Address
    Secondary DNS......x.x.x.x...................IP Address
    Internet gateway...192.168.1.10..............IP Address
    Localhost..........127.0.0.1.................IP Address
    My laptop..........AnyLaptopName.............Host/Site

My DHCP is running on the gateway.
    Everything else is on the Internet for me. Internet zone security setting: High

Cheers,
    Eduardo

Message Edited by glandgrand on 10-06-200603:01 PM

Look very correct.Well done.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

glandgrand Guest

Thank you!

Now, why it says is routed then? I have been using ethereal and I haven't seen any unusal behavior in my subnet.
    Why would this be?

By the way, I can try to reproduce this if it would help, and send some captures. Just trying to know what is going on.

Cheers,
    GG

Hi

Make sure the Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) does have the Trusted and Internet access allowed, plus server rights for the Trusted Zone.

ZA > Firewal > Main > Advanced > make sure the proper settings are allowed under the Internet connection Sharing and under the Network Settings Also try using the Custom button and allow both the outgoing DNS UDP port 53 tab and the outgoing DHCP UDP port 67 tab.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Since it is the localhost that is in question, my assumption is that something tries to communicate within the PC and not outbound, just internal, and it is being blocked. It could be a Windows or third party software that is the cause. this is why it is important to have the localhost (loopback) or the 127.0.0.1 address included as Trusted in the ZA firewall. This actually applies to all software firewalls, not just the ZA.

Windows explorer.exe does require Trusted Access and ask for the Internet and three green bars or the Super rating.

crss.exe, services.exe, winlogon.exe, userinit.exe and rundll32.exe should have the same setting as the Windows Explorer

Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) should be access for the Trusted and Internet Zone plus have server rights for the Trusted Zone. Three bars as well.

Antivirus, additional antispy, certain office applications or their certain components may ask for server rights under the Trusted Zone, besides their required Trusted and Internet access.

IM's will often insist for Internet Server Rights- allow when using and disallow when finsihed, but leaving the server rights for the Trusted Zone is acceptable.

Even in the right click of the individual component in the Program list, allowing internet access through other applications in the Options is required for some applications.

Every application that uses the internet does need the loopback access as well. The ZA will grant that access, all by itself. There are application firewalls or once were that required the user to include the loopback address for each individual application.

Oldsod

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 10-06-2006 08:40 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

joao_pt Guest

Everything is default, and I have no idea why this happens, and why just in this PC (with the same ZA settings the other). And since this doesn't affect me, i'll keep ignoring it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information