Thread: The definitive repair for 'invalid update contents' error with or without TrueVector shut downs

mistress Guest

Default The definitive repair for 'invalid update contents' error with or without TrueVector shut downs

I just received a phone call from Troy at Zone Labs. (THANK YOU TROY, AND JEREMY TOO!!! You are life savers!)
    This repair WILL work for those who, like myself have tried everything!
    From what I understand, some of the 'fixes' that have been floating around will work for some, and not for others, like me.
    At this point I was ready to try anything, so what the heck right?

Follow these instructions exactly. Please print them out too, if you are not sure what to do.

Do NOT do a a /clean uninstall - install!

The ZoneAlarm removal instructions are below.

01.) Restart your computer
    02.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up keep tapping the "F8" key (at the top of your keyboard)
    03.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press Enter
    04.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you get a help and support window, close this.
    05.) Once you are at the desktop, Click Start, My Computer
    06.) Click Tools, Folder Options, View Tab
    07.) Place a dot next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
    08.) Remove the check from "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)"
    09.) Choose Yes to the warning
    10.) Click OK
    11.) Double click C:

Note: In the future steps if you do not see any files or folders, please click
    the "Show Files" link to view them.

12.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
    13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    (note, if you are unable to delete this folder, please double-click Zone
    Labs, double-click ZoneAlarm, and then please remove any file that you
    can and just skip the ones that will not delete)
    14.) Close this window
    15.) Click Start, My Computer
    16.) Double Click the C:
    17.) Double Click the Windows Folder (It may also be WinNT)
    18.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    Note: if you are unable to remove this folder, please just double-click
    Internet logs and remove all files that you can. Please just skip any files
    that will not delete.
    19.) Double Click the System32 Folder (for Windows 98 and Windows ME, this will be the system folder)
    20.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    Note: if you are unable to remove this folder, please just double-click ZoneLabs and remove all files that you can.
    Please just skip any files that will not delete.

21.) Locate and delete the following files in this folder
    Note: if you are unable to delete or find any of these files, please just skip to the next file. Some of those files may already be gone.

- vsconfig.xml
    - vsxml.dll
    - vsregexp.dll
    - vsdata.dll
    - vsdata95.vxd
    - vsdatant.sys
    - vsmonapi.dll
    - vspubapi.dll
    - vsinit.dll
    - vsutil.dll
    - vswmi.dll
    - zlcommdb.dll
    - zlcomm.dll

22.) Clear your Temp Directory per the instructions below.

- Go to Start -> Run
    - Type %temp% and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them

23.) Clear the Prefetch folder per the instructions below.

- Go to Start -> Run
    - Type Prefetch and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them

24.) Remove the following registry entries by going to Start -> Run and typing in regedit.
    Use the folders on the left side of the window to navigate to the specified directories.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsmon
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsdatant

*Important Advisory: Deleting registry entries incorrectly may cause serious problems to your operating system,
    which may necessitate the need to reinstall it.
    Please make sure you are able to perform these deletions correctly before you decide to edit the entries.
    If you are not sure, you should seek help from someone who is familiar with editing the registry.

For information about how to edit the registry in Windows, from your desktop, click Start >> Run >> and type regedit.
    Click on Help >> Help Topics.
    Under the Contents tab, click Change Keys and Values (this may be found under the How to... section).

Also, you should always make a backup of the registry before editing it.
    You can find this in the same section of the Help files.

25.) Close this window, then empty your recycle bin.
    26.) Restart the computer.
    27.) Try to install the latest version again

I wish everyone good luck doing this, and I hope it works for you, like it did for me.
    It was basically painless LOL! Now I can go back to work!
    If you have any problems with it, please contact tech support, not me
    Happy holidays everyone!
    Mistress

Message Edited by Mistress on 12-19-200607:16 PM

billc Guest

Default Re: The definitive repair for 'invalid update contents' error with or without TrueVector shut downs

The steps you reported certain should work. Some users may be successful using another method. This applies to ZoneAlarm Security Suite and ZoneAlarm Antivirus
    <hr>Summary

I am getting an 'invalid update signature' or 'invalid update contents' error when updating my antivirus.

Solution

This can be caused by a corrupted antivirus update that was downloaded previously. Please follow the steps below to help resolve this issue:

If you get an error when trying to update your ZoneAlarm antivirus:

- Click Start -> Find or Search -> type VET_MODULES.TXT
    - The file should be located in the \System32\ZoneLabs folder
    - Right-click on the file and Delete the file
    - Try to update the antivirus again

NOTE - If you get an error when deleting the file, you may need to reboot into Safe Mode in order to delete the file. Safe mode can be accessed by tapping the F8 key about once per second or so as the computer is coming
    up. You will then be able to choose Safe Mode from the menu presented. Further information on how to do this can be found by clicking on Start >> Help, and typing in SAFE MODE. Then follow the instructions to boot your OS into Safe Mode.

If this does not resolve the antivirus update issue, please perform the following additional steps as well.

** Please note that this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process. If any of the steps below do not apply to you, or you are unable to perform the function listed, please continue to the next step.

1.) Reboot your system into Safe Mode. Your OS determines the method to do this, but normally either tapping the F8 key about once per second as your computer is booting up, or holding the control key during boot up works.

For more information on rebooting in Safe Mode, click Start, then Help. Click the Search tab, and type in SAFE MODE

2.) Open the Internet Logs directory (in 98SE/ME this will be c:\windows\internet logs, in 2000 it will be c:\winnt\internet logs, in Windows XP it could be either of these folders). Use My Computer or Windows Explorer to navigate to the folder.

3.) Delete all files that have the extension .RDB, .LDB, or TMP.

4.) Empty your Recycle Bin.

5.) Reboot your system. When the system restarts, you may get some ZoneAlarm configuration screens. This is normal and is a result of clearing the program's log files.

Thread Information