Thread: Odd alerts for zlclient.exe

fisky Guest

Default Odd alerts for zlclient.exe

Hoping someone can tell me that I am just being a bit slow with this, but just in case, here is the problem. I am using the Free version.Recently, I have been getting log entries for zlclient.exe access to the internet after requesting access. Family using the PC allow the zlclient to acccess as they realise it is Zonealarm. However, the logs point to a number of sites relating to advertising, tracking and so on.
    I have not seen this before in over 2 years of use of the free version. Can anyone tell me if this is expected, or if there is a problem that has slipped through my protection? Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Odd alerts for zlclient.exe

Hi

Make sure the ZA is a legit zlclient.exe and not malware.
    Make sure the zlclient has no internet access and turn the ZA product version updater off or set it to manual. Place the Smart Advisor to off or disabled as well.

Block the questionable sites in the ZA itself or block them in the Windows Host File or get a secondary site blocker such as Peer Guardian or ProtoWall (I use this one, 7.1 billion sites blocked, low resources too). Protowall can include the Blocklist Converter inputs plus any user customized entries and any available, useable list from the net. Trojans, spyware, trackers, edu, gov, snoops, hijacked sites, ads, bad sites and any other possible site you wished to be blocked is easily done.

Also, sites can be blocked in the router as well.

Our PCs are private.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 10-09-2006 02:38 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

fisky Guest

Many thanks for the guidance - much appreciated. This only really became apparent after the update to the latest version 6.5
    and I do have the client locked, so pretty sure the installed version is the real deal. Will change the rest of the settings and see how it goes. There is no option available to change the settings for the alert advisor on the tab where it used to be. I only noticed this when I went to follow your advice.
    I assume that this is a new "feature" of the latest version.
    Cheers
    fisky

Message Edited by fisky on 10-12-200612:31 AM

Is the "Alerts Events Shown" in the Alerts and Logs set at High? Also are the setting in the "Advanced" set at optimium? Program logging is high?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

fisky Guest

Hi oldsod. I do not have the option to change any of the settings you indicate. Since I did the install, I have now lost the log history visible in the window, and have to look at the .txt files. Since I did the upgrade, I am showing several high log entries, but I cannot optimise anything or set anything to high.
    All I have is settings I cannot change. This is not like I remember with the older versions.Fisky

The differnces are ZA Free and ZA Antispy. Just a few more options are availables for the paid versions.

I trust you have done scans plus online scans for malware from sites such as bitdefender.com and ewido.com? Also freeware such as superantispyware and asquared from emsisoft are quite good for on demand update/scanners.

http://spywarewarrior.com/sww-help.htm

is a great page from a great site for finding/removing nasties.

Still just blocking the sites in the host file is an option that is successful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

Older version of ZA Free are found here, if you are unhappy with the latest version..

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

The ZA database maybe corrupted and this alone may prevent the setting changes. So try a database reset to see if it would solve the problem:

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

Take care and hope this helps!

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

fisky Guest

Thanks oldsod - on vacation so apologies for the delay in reply. I run spy-bot, windows defender, free surfer, with Symantec a/v. Everything comes up clean, so will try your suggestions to clean everything right down and go from the beginning. Since I removed the auto-check for updates, the volume of alerts has dropped dramatically, so it is probably just that. I have kept the last few installs from ZA, so I may either re-install one of those, or pick one up from the link you gave.Thanks for all the help.Cheers fisky

Thread Information