Thread: Zone lab pro reports Vector service error submits "ZoneLab Error Report"

Default Zone lab pro reports Vector service error submits "ZoneLab Error Report"

After an Vector error, I was givin the option to submit a "Zone Lab Error Report" It took quite some time, even though I have 6meg cable service and a fast PC with a gig of Ram. Does all my personal info, credit card, proprietary program data go into this report? Anyway after the report I tried to restart ZA as I normally do and I had a system crash (immediate reboot and everything seemed to be fine).I'm more concerned with personal info as other people in my office were asking me if they should use this privacy feature (credit card,etc.)on their ZA pro PCs.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Zone lab pro reports Vector service error submits "ZoneLab Error Report"

Hi crashman and welcome to the Zone Alarm Users Forum

What did the Customer Support say about what is included in the Zone Lab Error Report? I doubt if there was any private info and it was probably just a lot of info regarding the ZA itself. Maybe DR. Watson is spying on my files?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

cheapdude Guest

Default Re: Zone lab pro reports Vector service error submits "ZoneLab Error Report"

FYI.

I also had this happen and started another thread under

"Zone Labs Error Report Summary - What is this?"

Wish I knew how to combine these into one thread, but here is the info from that thread started 10/14/06.
    Basically same issue and same lots of data uploaded to who knows where.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been using Zonealarm for years. First time I recall this behavior.

When reboot after a Windows update-
    Windows Update: SQL Server Feature Pack MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (925672)

had a dialog box titled-
    "Zone Labs Error Report Summary" pop up.

It then 'collected and uploaded" data for about 1.5 minutes on a 684MB DSL line. In short, megabytes of data got sent out. Searched this forum, plus the web. The search term(s) "Zone Labs Error Report Summary" gave no results.

Anyone else see this before or can say its ok?

As mentioned, a long-long time personal and corporate user of Zonealarm.

D. Hill
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version: 6.5

I've been looking and still coming up with zip. Also tried to look at me Zonelabs' Alert Log to see if I could find the IP where it went out to. No luck there either.

Otherwise seems stable and working well. Ran Norton's SystemWorks firewall test along with Gibson Research's (www.grc.com). Both said all is well.

Ran full Norton AV 2005 with latest definitions. Plus Spybot. No bads.

Wondering if need to send question to Zonelabs. It was their message that popped up and downloaded a massive amount of info from my PC.

P.S. I took a screen shot of the actual dialog box if that helps anyone ID this behavior.

ANY HELP APPRECIATED!

Message Edited by Cheapdude on 10-18-200611:58 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Something happened when ZoneAlarm started up. Something that wasn't expected, so ZoneAlarm zipped up the various reports it needed and zipped them to the ZoneLabs tech dept. Generally most of the files in the internet logs folder go, plus any memory dump from windows if it crashed.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

cheapdude Guest

Whoa.
    "Generally most of the files in the internet logs folder go, plus any memory dump from windows if it crashed."
    Internet logs as in browser history logs or as in Zone Alarms' Alert
    logs?
    Not too big a deal for me, but would be
    surprising if they would upload a user's browser history without asking permission first.
    If anything threw me on this behavior was Zone Alarm not asking first if
    I was ok with sending the error report. At least I did not recall seeing that query before it started uploading information. Windows at least asks if you want to send the error report.
    I'm not sure now, does anyone else remember if ZoneAlarm asked
    before it began its upload routine?

Will be interesting to see if more people have seen this. Thus far seems like threads began in October 2006. Why did this start now and is it going to be more wide spread? Long long long time user, never seen this before on any of the machines I have running.
    And again, a LOT of information was uploaded. It was not just spending time gathering info before a send operation, my router was on full upload the entire time. But I am not sure how big a windows dump file is, but it was in the hundreds of megabytes whatever went out.
    If just a couple of us had this pop up, not a big deal. Hope it is not related to the last Windows patch I installed! Bad enough Norton AV 2007 will not work with ZA, will be worse if MS decides to target ZA as well.
    D. hill

NO. Internet logs as in C:\windows\internet logs folder. This is the folder where all the database files and crash files, and diagnostic files from ZoneAlarm lives. This folder is created by ZoneAlarm during install, and is used only by ZoneAlarm. The only thing they will get from your browser history, is if you have added a site to the custom privacy settings. But even then they only get the fact that you connected there at least 1 time. As for asking. Open up ZA, go to the overview section, and click on the preferences tab. Now go all the way to the bottom. Have you got the box checked about sharing security settings anonymously? Do you have the one about warning you with a popup before you make contact?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

cheapdude Guest

Thanks for clarification!
    I do leave the Share Security Settings unchecked, but honestly can not recall if I was prompted or not before the upload began. Quite possible that I was and have forgotten or had multiple windows up whne it happened and just hit the Enter key.
    Appreciate the info and really do not have a problem with this behavior, just wanted to be sure it was not a baddie disguised as a ZA feature.
    Also worth noting, the contents of my windows\internet log directory is around 350 MB. So if took that plus a few other items, the length of time the upload ran is about right.
    Thanks again.
    D. Hill

Thread Information