Thread: constant alerts

emeyeme Guest

Default constant alerts

I get access alerts from ZoneAlarm Free every few seconds (reached 2000 alerts in less than ten minutes - so
    I
    shut the connection down). Each time from a different IP. They all try to reach a couple of ports I have open for eMule use (that's a file sharing p2p program), even when eMule is not running.
    I have been using ZoneAlarm and eMule in this computer for weeks, and had no previous access alerts. It all started after shutting ZoneAlarm down for a couple of minutes (eMule was running then). When I activated ZoneAlarm again alerts started to pop up.
    What else? In case it matters, I use a wifi router for an ADSL connection - but this computer doesn't use the wifi, it has a normal network
    wire attached.
    Please excuse my English, and thanks to everyone. Hope I can use my connection soon (I need it).

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: constant alerts

When you turned off ZA with Emule running the emule servers became aware of your computer. Now everyone knows you are running emule and will try and use it.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

emeyeme Guest

thanks a lot.
    I still have a couple of questions. what does it mean that "everyone will try to use it" exactly?
    What
    could have happened while the firewall was down and
    the computer was unprotected? Should I worry?

And now thinking on the future: Would it help if I close those ports on the router and open another ones? Is it safe to reconnect the computer and emule?
    thanks again for your time

eMule downloads files from multiple sources. When you start downloading, and come out from behind your firewall, you become a source for other users. This is from the eMule help FAQ's.My firewall still reports connections after I closed down eMule
    Your eMule gets known in the network as it is a source for other clients. Also the server propagate your client as source for the files you share. When you shut down eMule you will still receive traffic from other clients asking if a connection is still possible. This effect will subside after a while. So until you no longer appear as a source, others will try to use your machine as a source to download bits of files. I have no idea how long it will take for you to no longer appear as a source. Does this make sense?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

emeyeme Guest

Thank you very much. eMule stopped bothering allready. Hope everything is ok now.

Thread Information