Thread: DHCP Server?

rlprlp Guest

Default DHCP Server?

Hello. I have been using ZA antivirus/firewall for about 2 weeks now. I don't honestly know if this has been going on for a while now, or only recently. I am noticing warning messages in the system section of my event viewer. (I have Windows XP Home SP2 on an HP Pavilion desktop.) It basically states that my computer is unable to renew its address from the network (the DHCP Server) for the network card with network address (address). Error: The operation was cancelled by the user. I'm sort of guessing that the ZA firewall may be doing this. I am not on any type of in-home network; this is my only PC. Should I just ignore this, or could it become a problem? I have DSL from my local phone company, Qwest. If this should be going through, and ZA is blocking it, what setting(s) do I need to change? Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: DHCP Server?

If you stay connected, then I'm not sure what might cause the alert. Nonetheless, if you don't already have your DHCP server IP in the Trusted zone, I'd suggest you put it there. In case you don't know, here's what to do.

Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..

rlprlp Guest

Thank you, Bill. I am trying that. I also saw an entry named "New Network" with a nearly identical IP address as my DHCP server address. The only difference was tha last digit was 0 instead of 1. I noticed that it was in the Internet Zone, so I moved it to the Trusted Zone. Is it possible that that may have been the problem? Thank you.

billc Guest

Yes, that could very well have been your problem. By default, Zone Alarm blocks UDP packets which is the protocol DHCP servers use to renew your IP. If you move your DHCP server IP to the Trusted zone, then the UDP packets will not be blocked. Hopefully this is the solution.

Thread Information