Thread: IE 7 and Suspicious Behavior

scituate Guest

Default IE 7 and Suspicious Behavior

I have received the following message when I tried to type characters in the address bar in Internet Explorer 7 running Zone Alarm Pro 6.5:
    Suspicious BehaviorInternet Explorer is attempting to monitor user activities on this computer.
    If allowed it may try to track or log keystrokes (user input), mouse movements/clicks, web sites visited, and other user behaviors.
    Another person running Zone Alarm Pro 6.5 also had this message come up when they tried to type characters in the address bar.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    Is this a legitimate problem with IE 7?
    System info:Windows XP Professional SP2 up to date as of 10/26/06Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11 (Released version not beta)ZoneAlarm Pro version 6.5.737.000TrueVector security engine version 6.5.737.000Driver version: 6.5.737.000Anti-spyware engine version 5.0.83.0DAT file version 01.200610.445

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

pairofhearts Guest

Default Re: IE 7 and Suspicious Behavior

....yup, same here. Several times. I just denied it the access each time and it hasn't re appeared as yet.

I don't think it is at all surprising that IE is monitoring what you type in its address bar: it has the

feature (Autocomplete/webaddresses in tools, internet options, contents tab/autocomplete settings)
    of offering to autocomplete what you type, based on
    recently typed URLs that begin with the same letters, as
    a convenience to the user. It could not really do that without sensing what you are typing.Nothing pernicious about that, the information isn't sent anywhere. The ZA alert is generic, and is couched in somewhat dramatic angst generating form, applicable to malicious keyloggers but equally used for obviously harmless apps.
    If it worries you unduly, just turmn off autocomplete web addresses, and if you wish, the other autocomplete options
    :-)

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 10-27-200610:59 PM

jamcar Guest

I heard yesterday on the news that there was some kind of bug with the new IE7. They didnot offer any any reason or even say if microsoft was going to have a fix. Sorry. Think I will keep the old one for a little while longer. J.C.

lithyum Guest

<blockquote><hr>JRosenfeld wrote:
    I don't think it is at all surprising that IE is monitoring what you type in its address bar: it has the feature (Autocomplete/webaddresses in tools, internet options, contents tab/autocomplete settings) of offering to autocomplete what you type, based on recently typed URLs that begin with the same letters, as a convenience to the user. It could not really do that without sensing what you are typing.Nothing pernicious about that, the information isn't sent anywhere. The ZA alert is generic, and is couched in somewhat dramatic angst generating form, applicable to malicious keyloggers but equally used for obviously harmless apps.If it worries you unduly, just turmn off autocomplete web addresses, and if you wish, the other autocomplete options :-)

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 10-27-200610:59 PM
    <hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but IE6 also had that feature and ZoneAlarm didn't complained about it. Only now with IE7. And if I Deny it than I cannot view source any page. If I try to view it, IE7 complains that it has no permission to open UltraEdit (my configured HTML Source Editor/Viewer) and then tries to open notepad and shows the same message complaining it has no permission to start notepad. If I Allow it, all works fine.

Sorry, but it seems somewhat a security flaw if you should enable the very program you use to access your home bank account to log your keystrokes, so it can function properly.

Thread Information