Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSVCRT.dll problems with VSMON.exe causing True Vector shut down.

sonet Guest

Default MSVCRT.dll problems with VSMON.exe causing True Vector shut down.

Was using Version 65.737.000 and kept getting the same True Vector shutdowns that several others were having on the forum.

Tried various fixes: 1.Older version of MSVCRT.dll, system wouldn't boot, copied current version of MSVCRT.dll from another version of windows, system then rebooted but trouble was still there. 2. Tried copying the current version of MSVCRT.dll numerous times but trouble always returned. 3. Reinstalled the current version of ZA on a clean install, numerous times, but trouble eventually returned every time.

Finally found an older version of ZA (V61.744.001) on the web. Deleted version 65.737.000, rebooted, installed version 61.744.001, rebooted and I have now been running trouble free since.

Believe I'll wait awhile before updating till this problem is fixed.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

g_squared Guest

Default Re: MSVCRT.dll problems with VSMON.exe causing True Vector shut down.

Finally, glad to know I'm in good company. Another whose read and tried everything posted in ZA and on the Net to fix the True Vector fiasco.
    Try all you want to change out your dll's, etc., etc., it's not going to work. The fact is the latest ZA update w/vsmon.exe 6.5.737.0 and msvcrt.dll.7.0.2600.2180 will not play nice. If you change out your msvcrt.dll to the suggested 6.x.x.x you'll majorly fubar your comp., the link provided to download an updated dll.7.0.2600.2180 downloads the old 6.x.x.x don't install it.
    As Sonet suggests find an older version and use it until ZA get's their act together on the vsmon.exe & msvcrt.dll.0.7.2600.2180 mess.

sonet Guest

Hey g-squared, I have a question for you if you don't mind.
    It seemed to me that every time I received the shut down I was running a download on one of my P2P clients and I also remember reading one of the other messages that stated he was running E-Mule when he received his shut downs.
    I can't recall ever receiving a shut down when my P2P client wasn't running which makes me wonder if the shut down is related to downloading on the P2P clients
    Would you happen to be running a P2P client during your shut downs?
    Thought maybe I would receive more responses so that I could question many more members.
    Anyway, thanks in advance for any info you can supply.
    Sonet

birdseed Guest

Hi Sonet, I believe we have the same problem here. Have already posted a question on True Vector Service errors, but the suggestion of the moderator (based on my - incomplete - information) was more in the direction of a Perfect Disk thing. Now I have again that error message, and according to the above correspondence I believe to have the same VSMON.exe / MSVCRT.dll problem here. Better informed now, I conclude that this errors ONLY occur during downloading, using P2P programs such as Utorrent and Bittorrent.
    The error message was as follows.
    Signature of error:
    szAppName: VSMON.exe szAppVer: 6.5.737.0 szModName: MSVCRT.dll szModVer: 7.0.2600.2180 offset: 000372e3.
    I use Windows XP Prof. SP2.
    I am not aware if this error causes an unsafe situation with the internet connection, but I am a bit worrying. My question related to the safety was not specific answered.
    Hope ZoneLabs will take a serious look into this! Cheers.

sonet Guest

Hi birdseed.....sounds like you have the same problem with the same indications that I had.

I was using utorrent at the time of
    my problems but I have noticed that there are others using other P2P clients that are also causing the problem.
    I don't understand the problem but I do know that since I downgraded to the older version I haven't had one single problem during my downloads now.
    Good luck to you.....and yes I also hope they find the problem soon.
    Sonet

g_squared Guest

Hi Sonet,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Indeed it only happens when running my p2p (uTorrent). The errors are so random in time it's difficult to pin down. My last crash happened after the p2p had been running for 5 hours, before that 1 hour, before that 2.5 hrs., before that 10 min.,etc.
    The only definite I know is a)never a problem before ZA 6.5.xxxx, b) MS event viewer shows application error w/vsmon.exe on every crash, and the specific culprit is msvcrt.dll.0.7.2600.2180, c) i believe it highly unlikely my msvcrt.dll is corrupt, more an issue of "not playing nice" between updated vsmon.exe & msvcrt.dll.0.7.2600.2180.
    I've not dl'd an earlier version of ZA as you recommend, but fully intend to this weekend. Having your firewall crash and not shut down your internet connection leaving you completely vulnerable is sooooooo not acceptable.
    I'm digging through uTorrent trying to find specifically how p2p's utilize the msvcrt.dll and why vsmon.exe decides to crash. At present I'm leaning toward something to do with tracker and p2p auto-updating ? will keep you posted.
    Have you found anything?

birdseed Guest

Hi g-squared, I got your message to sonet too. (Hope this is standard procedure for same subjects..)
    Indeed I experience exactly the same events when ZA shuts True Vector Service. How can we try to reach the appropriate levels in the ZL organisation to make this error processed? There is no respons up untill now in how far ZA is loosing his security by this errors. I will stay tuned and still looking around using Google and other searchers to find something usefull. Indeed the forum of Utorrent gives no answers on this subject, but maybe people are alerted now. We will see. Cheers!

roselle Guest

I too am having the same problem.
    Downloading to the older version of ZA did the trick.
    I just wanted to say thanks for the background work that you guys did in locating the problem and finding a work around.
    This problem was both annoying and potential a serious problem.
    I hope that ZA can find the fix for this so that
    we can upgrade to the latest version of an otherwise a great product.

g_squared Guest

Sorry for the long overdue update on the dll vs. vsmon debacle. Unfortunately the only workaround for those who crash using P2P is to download an earlier version of ZA. ZA is well aware of the problem that exists within vsmon.exe and msvcrt.dll, but has nothing in the works to fix the incompatibility, I suspect their efforts to address and fix the issue will take place in the next version. Strictly from a business perspective it makes sense (although I don't agree, but that's beside the point) the man/woman hours (time = money) spent fixing, coding, and reprogramming a patch would be better spent coding and programming the next version.
    Uninstalling v.6.5 and re-installing an earlier version, and turning off auto-update, did the trick. A huge thanks to Sonet for initially posting the error and subsequent workaround.

Until the next release.

Cheers !!

*Edit* Forgot to mention that upon ZA crashing during p2p, seemingly the only vulnerability lies in the port assigned to the p2p client. ZA still functions maintaining security for the system but not the open p2p port which poses a risk since it's easily 'pinged', the oldest trick in the book for hackers. The last crash I had I left everything as is and ran Grisoft Security Sweep on all ports, I was still cloaked except for my assigned p2p port. I highly suggest anyone experiencing this prob. w/p2p to simultaneously run either Proguardian or ProtoWall, either offers an additional layer of protection if your p2p port happens to become unsecured.
    Even with this bug ZoneAlarm is still the best protection. I hope others are not dissuaded from using ZA, just load an earlier version and wait to see what the next release holds in store.

Message Edited by g-squared on 11-06-200608:38 PM

sonet Guest

Hey G-Squared....thanks for the additional research and info supplied.

Will wait and look forward to the next update....

Sonet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information