Thread: Quicken and ZAP Alerts

jameskb Guest

Default Quicken and ZAP Alerts

I'm getting ZAP alerts (Supisious Activity) each time I start Quicken. They say Quicken Launcher (qw.exe) is requesting permision to access the internet, that it may be "Monitoring user activities such as keylogging, sites visited, etc..."

Anyone have any information about this? Should I "Allow" or "Deny" ??

Thanks for your time.
    --
    JamesKB

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

socalreviews Guest

Default Re: Quicken and ZAP Alerts

You should select for ZoneAlarm to "always Allow" when you see those Quicken alerts and then they should not be nagging you in the future. Generally you can trust the well known programs that you have installed on your computer but it is a good idea to post the question in this forum just as you did if you have any other questions about other programs that are giving you ZoneAlarm alerts.

argentinegringo Guest

Default Re: Quicken and ZAP Alerts

I just finished asking the question to Quicken Customer Care
    getting a rather unsatisfactory response.
    The security alerts began about
    a wek ago, just after applying some updates from Quicken.
    The following is the essence of the communication:

Discussion Thread

Response (Bishnu C.)
    11/15/2006 11:35 PM

Raymond, so in this case you need to configure your firewall or disable it.
    As the earlier step did not work, or contact Zone Alarm support center.

Customer (Raymond)
    11/15/2006 10:13 PM

I checked the rules on my Zone Alarm and confirmed that qw.exe and bagent.exe have access to the Internet. Furthermore, I unchecked the option "Send anonymous product usage..." as you suggested.

Sorry to inform you that the security alert does continue. The version information on my Zone Alarm is as follows:

ZoneAlarm Pro version 6.5.737.000
    TrueVector security engine version 6.5.737.000
    Driver version 6.5.737.000
    Anti-spyware engine version 5.0.63.0, DAT file version

I have Quicken 2006 Premier Home & Business Release QA 5. My machine is a locally branded x86 Family 6 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1145 Mhz ) with 512 MB memory and more than 2 GB free space running Windows XP Professional, Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : Service Pack 2) fully patched. I have NOD32 as the antivirus and Counterspy as the antispyware applications.

Response (John V.)
    11/15/2006 02:43 AM

Raymond, as per your earlier email, you have been warned by Zone Alarm about suspicious behavior by Quicken.

There are 2 things that you would have to do here. Do not deactivate any firewalls. That is not required.

Please configure Zone Alarm to allow "qw.exe" and "bagent.exe" to access the Internet. Quicken requires that these files have access to the Internet.

In regards to the monitoring of keystrokes, Quicken does not track anything to that effect. What it does monitor is, if you use the Enter key to enter transactions, if you use the Tab key to move between fields.

You can prevent Quicken from tracking this by going to the Edit menu>>Preferences>>Customize Online Updates. Click on the Connection tab and uncheck the option "Send anonymous product usage..."

Response (Gagandeep T.)
    11/12/2006 03:14 PM

Raymond, what I understand is that you are getting some error related messages.

About your issue-: Might be you have not disabled your Anti Virus, Firewall and Popup Blockers before updating Quicken. Many customer are facing same issue after updating however that could resolved by reinstalling Quicken in new folder.

I would really appreciate if you could please reinstall Quicken by following these steps.
    Note:- Disabled your Anti Virus, Firewall and Popup Blockers before installing Quicken.

1) Please uninstall Quicken from Start >> Control Panel, Add Remove programs.
    2) Insert the Quicken 2006 installation CD-ROM into the CD Drive and when you get the installation screen then please click on Install.
    3) Now, if Quicken provides you an option to 'Install Quicken 2006 to:' a directory, please click on the Change button.
    4) Please do not install in "quicken" folder, please create any other folder on C drive say C:\Qkn2006.
    5) Now, continue installing Quicken. Check for updates,

Thread Information