Thread: Help Please Chkdsk utility from Zone Alarm

bluejeanwearer Guest

Default Help Please Chkdsk utility from Zone Alarm

Hello E1:womansad:,I am new and I am sorry if my post is on the wrong board.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

When I click to run"Clean Cashe Manually,I get the below message from an icon in my taskbar.The file or directory,COCUME~1\Mary|Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content IE5\OPKV5383 is corrupt and unreadable.Please run the Chkdsk utility.could someone please advise me on how I do this to correct the problem?.
    If
    anyone
    could help please,in easy to follow steps,as I am not very good with things like this.Thankyou in advance.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

jdoliver Guest

Default Re: Help Please Chkdsk utility from Zone Alarm

I'm not an expert but you could try this.
    Open My Computer and right click on the disk, click properties on the menu that comes up.
    Click on the tools tab of the properties window. There should be an entry for error checking. I suspect its chkdsk.

ad_hock Guest

Try first to use the clean disk from windows.Hit start all programs accessories and than system tools.After clicking system tools click the clean disk utility and see if the temporary internet files are ready to clean up.It would be also advisable to run CHKDSK to see if you have file errors or problems in the hard disk and if with CHKDSK you are able to solve them.Right click over start and choose explore to open windows explorer.Right click over local disk (it may be c:\ or other drive depending how your OS is installed)and choose properties.Click the second page, tools and in the first option 'check errors',click check now'.Check both check boxes 'correct errors in the files of the system automatically' and 'try to recover damaged sectors'. You'll reveive a message saying that CHKDSK can't run now as it needs full access to the disk and if you want to run it next reboot. Click saying yes and then close all windows and reboot. After rebooting CHKDSK will run . This is a long process with 5 phases and it may take (depending on your system and files and hard disk size over a hour and a half).It is advisable that before sarting this process for easy of analysis you acess the event viewer (control panel administrative tools an than event viewer and in type application clean all the logging).After running the CHKDSK and starting up the computer go to the event viewer as explained open it and in type application see the class winlogon. Open it with double click and see the CHKDSK report.You may paste it and if you want put it here for analysis.
    Best regards

The indicated folder is one of the hidden subfolders of your temporary internet files folder. I doubt that chkdsk would do anything to files in that folder, besides which you don't need them, they are not system files. I suggest that you clear your temporary internet files instead: control panel, intenet options, delete..or system tools disk cleanup. Then restart your PC.

ad_hock Guest

Question is not to recover files in the Internet temporary files,of course those are to remove,my point is as a precaution measure to run CHKDSK after receiving a request to do so.For ignoring one of this messages I've already lost a hard disk a couple of years ago,but this is just my opinion.
    Best regards

Thread Information