Thread: firewall out of date???

pitbulllover Guest

Default firewall out of date???

I received the balloon that says firewall may be out of date and when I click on it it says Zone alarm reports your firewall is out of date. ( I just renewed my membership last week) When I open the suite it says that the firewall is up to date in that square on the left. Why does windows have that red shield at the bottom telling me that???

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: firewall out of date???

Open the ZA and look for the Product Info tab in the OverView. The Version Information will say what version is used. I should say something like 6.5.xxxx and then you have the latest version available. If it says 6.2.xxx then the firewall is an older version. This does not mean you have to update the firewall- the spyware and the antivirus definition updates will continue regardless if it is the newer or older version.

If you do not wish to be reminded of a newer version, then uncheck the automatic updates in the Preferences Tab. If you wish to have the newer version, then download the version from the Product Specific in the Customer Support page in the Zone Labs site. I would suggest that you write down the keay or the code to paper and then uncheck the "Load Zone Alarm... at StartUp" and then reboot. Then uninstall the ZA and reboot. Then install the downloaded version with the key code.

Hope this helps you.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

pitbulllover Guest

I do have 6.5.xxxxxx and the baloon says nothing about spyware and virus. I just checked it and it's definitions are up to date and just did a scan but for some reason the firewall alert won't come off! Thanks for your reply also.

Hi
    I think I am awake now!

Okay so the red ballon is from Windows? Saying that the firewall is out of date or not activated? Is the ZA firewall on in the Windows Security Center in the Control panel? Is the Windows XP firewall off? If yes, then something else is wrong.

What does the red balloon also say- is there a click me? It maybe malware, so in this case I would NOT CLICK it. Just in case. maybe a scan with the antivirus and the antispy maybe a good idea. Consider downloading and installing freware such as Ewido from ewido.net or just use the online scanner that they make available to all users also for free.

Other freeware scanners to consider would be the Windows Defender from microsoft.com or the SuperAntiSpy from superantispy.com. these are just a few of the suggestions.

Another excellent online scanner (use the IE6 for this one as well) is the bitdefender.com online scanner. This one will treat and remove the virus, worms, trojans and malware.

Just some suggestions if it is decided that this maybe a form of malware and not a legitimate Windows warning.

Take care and talk to you later,

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 08-10-2006 06:42 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware
    Software Version:6.1
    Best regards.
    oldsod

cdo Guest

I am having the same problem - just started today - on every reboot red badge comes up saying computer may be at risk because virus protection not up to date. Opening ZA Security Suite and clicking on update now in antivirus tab makes red badge go away - but ZA says everything is already up to date.

Thread Information