Thread: Allowing programs to access other programs

ljswales Guest

Default Allowing programs to access other programs

On a friends computer they use xplorer2 in place of windows explorer. They double clicked on a .wav file which obviously Zone Alarm asked if to Allow or Deny xplorer2 to access Windows Media Player. I assume that as a novice user they replied Deny, not sure if Remember was checked. The result of this was that from then on when ever using xplorer2 and double clicking any file that required Windows Media Player the following message appeared -

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. -

I checked their settings in smart defense against mine as I use xplorer2, checked using LogMeIn so I could check both machines easily at the same time.

Being a novice user they were unaware of what may have caused this problem but they did remember it only recently started. As they use True Image I went back a month and on that reloaded system using xplorer2 I double clicked a .wav file again and Smart Defense opened up the Allow Deny window, they said that they would have answered Deny to prevent xplorer2 access windows media player, remember this is a novice user. I obviously this time answered Allow and Remember and Windows Media Player played the double clicked file, no surprise there.

The question is where can I find out within Zone Alarm what decisions have been taken when being presented with Allow Deny prompts. Checking Smart Defense xplorer2 was set to Auto.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Allowing programs to access other programs

If you think you accidentally denied or allowed a permission to a program by mistake, or if you later want to change it, you can always "remove" the program from the program control list in the ZA control panel. The next time that program runs, ZA will add it back into the program control list and you can configure it however you like when an alert pops up, or you can have it set to Auto. The easiest thing to do is to go to the program control list, right-click on the program you want to reset, select "remove". The next time it runs, it should be added back into the program control list. Post back if that doesn't solve your problem. Good luck.

ljswales Guest

Thanks for the prompt reply, I will try it on my own computer better than trying to get a novice to do it again, I will do a True Image backup first so I can always recover from any problems. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks

Lionel

critterjoe Guest

HI, while a True Image backup will work, it may be overkill. ZA has it's own "backup" for security settings built-in, so you can do a quick mini-backup of your ZA settings at any time. Go to the ZA Control Panel to Overview | Preferences then select "backup security settings." That will backup your ZA settings to an XML file on your PC. You can restore from that file if you ever need to also from the ZA Control Panel. I don't necessarily do a backup if I'm just going to remove a program from the ZA program control list. I know that ZA will just add it back in the next time it runs. If for some weird reason it didn't, you can always manually add that program .exe file back into the program control list by using the "ADD" button in the bottom right corner of the program control list page.

ljswales Guest

Yes did as instructed did not notice the backup and restore option before so thanks for that. Moving on, I deleted xplorer2 from Zone Alarm Program Control. Next ran xplorer2 and doubled clicked a .wav file which prompted Zone Alarm if to Allow or Deny xplorer2 to access Windows Media Player, picking Deny caused the permissions message to appear. I did not check Remember but double clicking the .wav file caused the same error message again. After that I could not use xplorer2 to launch .wav files for Windows Media Player. I thought by not checking Remember that I would be asked again but Windows XP was coming in immediately with this permissions message so not getting the option with Zone Alarm to change my mind and allow.

Restored it back so now problems.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Lionel

klate Guest

This may not fit the right THREAD, but just want to confirm that if zone alarm is giving me this alert:
    "SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR"
    "adobe photoshop is trying to launch rundll32.exe or use another program to gain access to privileged resources"
    everytime I load adobe photoshop, NOW i have read in differnet places on google search that if i click : "apply this setting to all suspicious beahviors exhibited by this application"
    that if there is a virus it can now use adobe photoshop or rundll32.exe somehow and access my computer
    what im trying to say is if i click apply this setting to suspicious behaviors that are obviously ok (when i load a program), will this now allow any virus or backdoor, or potentially hazardous program to now access my computer with this program?
    thanks in advance
    im using zone alarm pro v 6.5.737.000win xp pro sp 2
    internet zone : hightrusted zone: highprogram control: highos firewall: on (ask)smart defense advisor: auto

ljswales Guest

My original post was one program trying to execute another which is the problem you seem have though my was more straight forward. User Critterjoe was helpful is answering my question.

Using web site http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rary/rundll32/ there appears to be two possibilities, one is is a windows file for loading DLLs into memory and second a high jacked version which is a trojan. What confused me with my problem was the fact that I did not check the Remember box so I thought the question would be offered again but it did not. What was useful was backing up the Zone Alarm file which allowed me to undo the changes that were causing me the problem.

From what I have read it rundll32.exe is a required program and if it had been high jacked the Zone Alarm Anti Virus should detect when doing a scan.

I am aware that whenever I use any message boards for problems/questions there are a lot of people out there that check these and offer good advice.

Suggest you create a new thread with the title

"adobe photoshop is trying to launch rundll32.exe or use another program to gain access to privileged resources"

or as much as you can use as a title and see what advice you get.

Ok

Lionel

Thread Information